Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still trying to understand this machine
Cool 
Still trying to understand this machine
I have seen the videos showing a clear airway apnea vs an obstructive apnea. I don't understand, when looking at the charting in SH, what the machine sees to determine whether CA or OB. Below is a chart of two of them close together from last night and can someone please explain to me what causes it to be labeled one or the other.
[Image: RAFlq7m.png]

I see the machine do it's thing, testing the airway, but I don't see what it sees to make the call. These aren't the best examples they just happen to be in the same frame here for ease of comparison.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still trying to understand this machine
(03-06-2015, 12:35 AM)SailingAway Wrote: I have seen the videos showing a clear airway apnea vs an obstructive apnea. I don't understand, when looking at the charting in SH, what the machine sees to determine whether CA or OB. Below is a chart of two of them close together from last night and can someone please explain to me what causes it to be labeled one or the other.

The information it uses to determine CA vs. OA is probably not in the graphs.

Google "Forced Oscillation Technique."

FOT sends a series of short pulses of pressure and measures the resulting changes in airflow to tell whether or not it's "working" against an air blockage in your throat, or if it's working against your lungs.

The "hairy" spot on the blue mask pressure line is where it's applying FOT. The magnitude and frequency of the air flow response is such that you can't see it on the flow rate graph, but the machine probably uses signal processing to measure it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
so, you actually can see this in your provided chart. when FOT occurs on the first apnea, the flow rate does not jiggle. on the next application of FOT the flow rate does jiggle, indicating there is no resistance to flow.

so this snapshot has captured the difference perfectly. nice job.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope this doesn't violate some rule. Since it is a machine manufacturers site and in the interest of education.....

http://www.resmed.com/int/assets/documen...-paper.pdf

The first four paragraphs of this white paper seems to explain it very well. Says the same thing quiescence said in the prior message. I think I have it now for the most part. Still not clear on how the machine measures flow limitations. Seems like it will mark a limitation well below whatever the total flow capability of the machine, which it should. Would seem to me that the limitation would be me trying to get breath, but being unable to do so. I would think that there would need to be drop in mask pressure, not related to a leak with the machine trying to supply the need, but not being successful. Is that correct?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
SailingAway,

You have excellent questions; I have wrestled with these as well. I will keep reading and learning.

Thanks for asking!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 01:33 PM)SailingAway Wrote: Hope this doesn't violate some rule. Since it is a machine manufacturers site and in the interest of education.....

http://www.resmed.com/int/assets/documen...-paper.pdf

That's quite ok. Links to manufacturer's sites are explicitly permitted provided they don't sell to the public from the site.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 01:33 PM)SailingAway Wrote: The first four paragraphs of this white paper seems to explain it very well. Says the same thing quiescence said in the prior message. I think I have it now for the most part. Still not clear on how the machine measures flow limitations. Seems like it will mark a limitation well below whatever the total flow capability of the machine, which it should. Would seem to me that the limitation would be me trying to get breath, but being unable to do so. I would think that there would need to be drop in mask pressure, not related to a leak with the machine trying to supply the need, but not being successful. Is that correct?

A flow limitation is usually a case where your airway is narrow enough to offer resistance to your airflow. Think of it as being like having a stuffy nose that you can still breathe through. This is often caused by the same effect as an apnea, but your airway doesn't close up as much. Flow limitations also can go on for a long period of time.

Without flow limitation, your airflow will be a smooth sine wave looking waveform. With flow limitation, as you inhale, your airflow goes up part way, but then doesn't get any higher. Your airflow will look like a square wave on the top.

Exhales tend not to have flow limitations (or obstructive apneas) because any blockage of the airflow increases the pressure in your airway and opens it up, sort of like CPAP does.

In my opinion, flow limitations aren't as well understood or quantified to the same degree as apneas or hypopnea.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 87 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 271 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 982 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 253 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  Help to understand results, please Olis001 5 425 11-30-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,135 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.