Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still waking up ever hour or two
Still waking up ever hour or two
Have cpap machine for the last 6 months and quality of sleep is fantastic! Before the cpap machine and now, I wake up every 1.5 to 2 hours. I don't know if this is habit or nicotine addiction. Sleep center is of no help. Anyone have any suggestions?

darnold
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still waking up ever hour or two
Hi darnold,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have this problem and was given Doxepin 10mg. It helps me initiate and maintain sleep. It is an old school tricyclic antidepressant but can be used for sleep issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
It comes down to habits. Your body is in the habit of being woken up by apnea events so it is continuing that habit even though the apnea events have (hopefully) decreased. The thing now is to give it a new habit. It may take time and it may take medication.

Look up sleep hygiene. A lot of that stuff will really help you to understand and form good habits. Or come up with a solution on your own.

Consider also going to a counselor that deals in sleep issues. Not that you are crazy (that we know of), but there are tricks and tips they can help you with.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2013, 10:19 AM)darnold Wrote: Have cpap machine for the last 6 months and quality of sleep is fantastic! Before the cpap machine and now, I wake up every 1.5 to 2 hours. I don't know if this is habit or nicotine addiction. Sleep center is of no help. Anyone have any suggestions?

darnold
Sounds to me like you're (briefly) waking up at the end of each sleep cycle. That's actually pretty common even among people who don't have OSA or insomnia.

It's just that someone who has neither OSA nor insomnia usually quickly assesses that everything is "fine" in the environment, turns over, and goes back to sleep in less than 5 minutes. And they don't even remember the wake(s) in the morning because a human being typically does not remember any wake that lasts less than 5 minutes. And so a few brief wakes that only happen at the end of each sleep cycle and which you don't remember in the morning are not considered to be disruptive of the overall sleep quality.

So your "problem" such as it is, is that you've taught yourself how to wake up enough and for a long enough time to remember those wakes that seem to be happening at the end of your sleep cycles. Limiting the caffeine may help with the wakes. But it's just as important to consider what you actually do in the middle of the night when you find that you've woken up yet again.

Try not to worry about the wakes. And try not to make yourself wake up further in the middle of the night in an attempt to remember the wake because you think its important because there's something wrong with your sleep ....
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2013, 10:19 AM)darnold Wrote: Have cpap machine for the last 6 months and quality of sleep is fantastic! Before the cpap machine and now, I wake up every 1.5 to 2 hours. I don't know if this is habit or nicotine addiction. Sleep center is of no help. Anyone have any suggestions?

darnold
I don,t know what waking you up but from my experience, leak is number one culprit and higher AHI as pressure was not optimal, also if the air feel too cold/warm . Your user profile shows Resmed machine and auto pressure but don,t specify the machine either Autoset or Escape Auto (model name printed next to on/off button). Autoset report leak, Escape Auto don,t

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 118 Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 262 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 309 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.