Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stinging sensation in nose/throat
Stinging sensation in nose/throat
I have been having great success and using my CPAP all night for over 5 months but at 3:00 am this morning awoke with a burning or stinging sensation in my nose and throat. Drank a glass of water but that didn't help. I then did a nasal flush and that seems to have taken care of the problem. Any idea what caused this ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stinging sensation in nose/throat
Hi Snore Monster
I've found keeping well hydrated during the daytime does help. It is quite common for people to open their mouth while asleep and that would dry the throat, a chinstrap can help to keep mouth closed and there is always full face mask if everything else fail. Also getting humidifier to use with your machine can help as well. There is no data on the remstar plus to tell you whats the leak.

Post Reply Post Reply
Had you by any chance just washed something and there was some residual detergent? If not I have no idea. Hope it doesn't happen again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am pretty sure my mouth remained closed during this event. Also, no, I had not just cleaned the hoses although that was one of the first things I did this morning. I am wondering if my sinus passages had dried out. I do take Claritin and Benadryl daily for allergies.
Post Reply Post Reply
could be reflux. different things feel and are described differently by different people. was there an acid taste with it?
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I have had acid reflux before. It was nose though to the back of the throat. I checked some internet info and it sounds like the weather which has been very dry in our area combined with the allergy medicine I take and the CPAP most likely caused nasal passage to dry out causing the irratation. Suggested that I use a saline type nasal spray before bed or to get a CPAP with a hummidifier attachment. It was really a poor way to wake at 3:00 in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
SM, if you're still having issues after a couple days, might be a good idea to go to the doc - you could have an nasal infection of some type.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you use the humidifier? If so, did you check the water?

If the water in my humidifier runs out in the middle of the night, I wake up stinging like mad and smell something like ammonia. I then proceed to sneeze my dang head off. Nasal rinse helps.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks but I don't have the humidifier option. I am sitting at my desk dead tired and hoping that some nasal spray tonight will help. Need my sleep and don't need a 3:00 am wakeup call like that again. I am hoping to get a new machine soon so hopefully it will have humidifier and all the other new bells and whistles. Oops, I shouldn't say whistle on a CPAP forum, whistles really aren't desirable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 10:15 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Do you use the humidifier? If so, did you check the water?

If the water in my humidifier runs out in the middle of the night, I wake up stinging like mad and smell something like ammonia. I then proceed to sneeze my dang head off. Nasal rinse helps.

Yeah, I can always tell when mine runs dry, the smell wakes me up. :p No idea what it is, besides just hot metal, but it's just irritating enough.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 234 1 hour ago
Last Post: jake79
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 2 71 3 hours ago
Last Post: Dawnstar
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 114 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 119 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,932 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 299 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,298 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.