Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

Stock up today!
Ok, so call your docs right away!

What you tell them is "Doc, I need to have a script for a zillion Hydrocodones right away!!! Thanks doc!"

The thing is, as of 10/3 the DEA is changing the rules moving Hydrocodone from a Class III to a Class II drug. That means any prescription in the future can only be a 30 day supply and no refills. Bummer!

Hmmm, now let me think: how is it I get my "Medical Marijuana" card?

Quote: "After October 3, 2014, many Veterans may notice VA prescription changes for hydrocodone combination (HC) medications. It's important to know how these rule changes affect your HC prescription when using My HealtheVet.

Brand names for HCs include AZDONE, LORCET, LORTAB, IBUDONE, TUSSIONEX or VICODIN. VA prescription bottles will typically list HYDROCODONE and another medicine such as ACETAMINOPHEN. These medicines may be used to relieve pain or to reduce coughing.

The change comes from the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). The new rule changes HC medicines from a Schedule III drug to a Schedule II drug. They will now be more strictly controlled. The DEA did this because these medications were found to be highly abused, habit forming and potentially deadly in overdoses. These stricter regulations should improve their safe use for everyone.

If you have a prescription for a hydrocodone-containing medication and use My HealtheVet's Prescription Refill feature, the number of refills showing on the 'Refill My Prescription' page may reflect your original prescription. It will change when your doctor re-writes the prescription based on the new restriction on refills and expiration date. Refills of new HC prescriptions will no longer be allowed on or after October 3, 2014 and quantities will be limited to a 30-day supply.

Each VA Medical Center pharmacy will make changes to make sure there is a smooth transition of HC prescriptions for their Veterans. In some instances, the HC prescription may continue to appear for a few weeks or months. If you have questions, it is best to contact the pharmacy at your local VA Medical Center. The phone number is on every prescription label, or you can look on the local VA Medical Center website under 'Health Care Services' for the pharmacy telephone number.

If you need to discuss your prescription with your health care team, remember that you can use My HealtheVet Secure Messaging to reach out and ask specific questions in this safe and secure channel."
09-24-2014 06:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Stock up today!
Since it's going to II -- you might as well ask for the formulation that does not contain acetaminophen. Or, for other II meds that do a better job with pain.

This is all silly nanny-state crapola.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-24-2014 06:59 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Yep, I agree. I don't use it right now because nothing much hurts. Well, there is that sore spot on my arm where Mrs R_G..... Did I say arm?

But I like to have stuff around that I'm not supposed to have just in case I need some stuff and can't get it because I'm not supposed to have it.
09-24-2014 07:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

so, are they expecting that 30 days is enough time to wean off of these schedule II drugs without having some nasty withdrawal side affects?
09-24-2014 07:33 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

(09-24-2014 07:33 PM)me50 Wrote:  so, are they expecting that 30 days is enough time to wean off of these schedule II drugs without having some nasty withdrawal side affects?

Typically, they won't give you a large supply, unless it is for a chronic issue, in which case they will expect to write a new script each month.

But as each pill usually has 325mg of ACETAMINOPHEN - which has a max daily value of 800mg, you should never take more than 2 pills in a 24hr period (even though it's quite normal to see a script state 'take one or two pills every 4 to 6 hours, as needed for pain") - but that's another problem.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
09-25-2014 03:46 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

The other goody of switching to a class II drug? No faxing allowed. It must be a paper script hand-carried to your pharmacy each and every time.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
09-25-2014 03:47 AM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Be sure to write your congresscum and tell them what you think about this and the nanny state in general.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
09-25-2014 07:04 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(09-25-2014 07:04 AM)archangle Wrote:  Be sure to write your congresscum and tell them what you think about this and the nanny state in general.

In an ideal world that would be worth doing.
In today's, poll driven political landscape, it's akin to leaving a baby on a door step. The nanny-statists have been pushing this for some time.

Quote:"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-25-2014 09:40 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

I think it is about time that these drugs are more closely monitored. I have seen it where many doctors/health care providers keep writing these scripts for these drugs and people are dying from it. This is not to say that if it is needed not to prescribe it but these drugs, or some of them, are not meant to be prescribed for long term use in most cases. This may make some people frustrated, upset, angry or whatever at me but this is my opinion and I have seen doctors hand out scripts for some of these meds as if it were candy and they don't monitor the patient(s).
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 09:46 AM by me50.)
09-25-2014 09:45 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

(09-25-2014 03:46 AM)Peter_C Wrote:  But as each pill usually has 325mg of ACETAMINOPHEN - which has a max daily value of 800mg, you should never take more than 2 pills in a 24hr period (even though it's quite normal to see a script state 'take one or two pills every 4 to 6 hours, as needed for pain") - but that's another problem.

Definitely true for long term, not always true for short term....and there are special cases in all things.

When Mrs. Psycho came home with the Psycholet, they gave her the industrial strength version of a "normal" pain reliever. Looking at the label of the bottle on our shelf, her prescribed dose was close to 2.5x the "daily max". In that case, though, it was short duration only so the risk associated with causing organ damage was low and it was not likely to be passed on to the Psycholet through nursing.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 11:59 AM by PsychoMike.)
09-25-2014 11:58 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  We have rain today justMongo 16 826 02-05-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  I hit the doughnut hole today justMongo 23 1,935 08-02-2015 10:12 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Today is the day! retired_guy 21 1,616 05-28-2015 04:44 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Today's Trivia Quiz justMongo 15 1,711 11-12-2014 12:48 PM
Last Post: Homerec130