Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stomach Sleeper - Can't Sleep
Stomach Sleeper - Can't Sleep
I'm new to cpap.

Been trying to sleep with the device for the pass six weeks. Using the P10 nasal pillows and find that being a stomach sleeper, the nasal pillows and hose get in the way.

The end result is that I can not sleep. There is just too much hanging off my face with the hose and all.

So what are other stomach sleepers using? Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stomach Sleeper - Can't Sleep
Hi SleepyGuy101,
Is there any way you can try to sleep in another position? You are using the most simplistic mask out there, and any other mask, like a nasal or full face would be even harder to sleep on stomach.

Unfortunately, once were in the "hosehead" club, we have to learn to adjust to many things, and sleeping with something hanging off our face is one of those.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 03:35 PM)SleepyGuy101 Wrote: I'm new to cpap.

Been trying to sleep with the device for the pass six weeks. Using the P10 nasal pillows and find that being a stomach sleeper, the nasal pillows and hose get in the way.

The end result is that I can not sleep. There is just too much hanging off my face with the hose and all.

I am also a stomach and face sleeper, I am wondering how they did your sleep test and titration. When I had my sleep studies they insisted I had to learn to sleep on my back. If you find another way please post it in the forum.-Good luck with your search
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyGuy101,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could get a hoselift so the hose can be put out of your way so you don't have as much hose drag on your mask.
Check the suppliers list here on the board at the top of each page, you should find them there.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy, don't give up, it can take some time to get used to this new way of sleeping.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 03:35 PM)SleepyGuy101 Wrote: I'm new to cpap.

Hello Sleepyguy,
I'm also very new to the CPAP club. I'm working on my 3 month and I'm also a Stomach sleeper. After 40 years of being a stomach sleeper, changing my sleep position was not an option and I am getting along great with my machine and I’m sleeping great (on my stomach). My doc just did a follow-up home sleep test to see if there are any positive changes and the results were fantastic. What I learned very quickly was that the type (firm or soft) and the size of pillow I used played a big role, along with the position/location of my head on my pillow until I finally found the sweet spot that allowed me to head off into dreamland. It is possible so don’t give up. I’m using a full mask without any problems. AT first I had to often adjust the straps until I found the right combination. My hose is tucked over my head between mattress and headboard because I have a gap there that is just right to retain the “excess” hose without crimping of pinching it yet allowing me to turn sides without a dramatic issue with my hose. If you have any questions, please message me. Don’t give up because it is possible.

Post Reply Post Reply
I used to be stomach sleeper. When I started CPAP back in 2006 I had to learn how to sleep on my side it took about a week and been fine ever since, You could try one of the masks that has the hose attached to the top of your head such as the Breeze (my favorite), Dreamwear etc. Also the Nuance hose pivots so you could run the hose up over the top and attach it to the head headgear with Velcro or even a bread tie. I am currently using the Airfit P10 (prefer it over the Nuance) and at first I had attached the hose to the headgear at the top to keep outta the way but the last week or so I have just let it hang free and feed the hose over the top of my pillow, seems to be working ok. Keep at it you will adjust.
Post Reply Post Reply
I slept on my stomach most of last night, using the P10 nasal pillows mask. It actually worked alright, once I got positioned on the pillow such that the mask wasn't pressing against it (kind of off the edge of the pillow), and had the hose arranged on the other side of the pillow along the head of the bed. No major leaks, just a minor one around 5:30am that woke me enough to readjust the pillows a bit till all was quiet. So as others have said, it IS possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
So lets see if I can explain what I do. I have a firm memory foam pillow. First I move the pillow so it is diagonal to my body. The left end is above my head and the right side is below my right shoulder. My right arm is along my side when face down. My left had is under the edge of the pillow right where my cheek will be, this keeps my face from compressing the pillow and allowing the mask to press against the mattress. I place my face on the edge of the pillow with only my right cheek resting on the pillow and supporting my head. The mask is hanging straight down, with no leaking.

Hope you can follow this and hope it helps
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I think stomach sleeping is the hardest thing to work with on a Cpap. I have only had success using the Circadian masks. However, they tend to be noisy masks compared to the nasal pillows. Still, you can have your face in the pillow and it goes ok.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2016, 02:56 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Personally, I think stomach sleeping is the hardest thing to work with on a Cpap.
Hard...yes. Impossible...no. i sleep with a full face mask and sleep on my stomach. i use a hose hanger and three pillows. i use a regular pillow on the bottom (flattened from years of use) and two square pillows on top (also somewhat flattened). My face rests on the edge of the square pillow and that allows me to be face first into the mattress. That being said, i still have enough space between the front of my mask and the mattress to prevent blockage of the vent. This system was finalized after a lot of trial and error. What i am trying to say is that if you want to be a stomach sleeper, you need to experiment until you find a system that allows you to be comfortable on your stomach. i do recommend a hose hanger. It was the best investment i made for my sleeping. Sorry for the long post!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,153 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  airfit: switching to P30i for side sleeper from P10??? rebean 2 553 09-28-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: rebean
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 635 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.