Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stomach Sleepers with SleepyHead Software
Stomach Sleepers with SleepyHead Software
After looking at this thread: I would be very interested in the "respiration" rate of stomach sleepers who sill have an AHI much above zero. I'm guessing those rates are well above 15.

Anyone using SleepyHead and stomach sleeping???
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stomach Sleepers with SleepyHead Software
I do sleep on my stomach quite often but without a camera I don't think that I would be able to tell just how much time I spend in that position. I've never thought about my sleep position being too relevant to the therapy results except my thinking has always been that back sleeping was the worst position for apnea possibilities.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
What is your hypothesis for a higher respiratory rate when sleeping on ones stomach?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Stomach sleeping should reduce most people's AHI to -0- or near it who have OSA. The theory is that someone on their stomach who still has problems is probably moving a lot of air in order to suck the back of the throat closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I stomach sleep and still have apnea. When you stomach sleep, there is always going to be some kind of twist in your neck, otherwise, you would smother yourself in your pillow. That twist probably narrows the airway, similar to the action of wringing out a wet towel. and exacerbates the problem. It won't be as bad as lying on your back, but the problem is still there.
Post Reply Post Reply
It also depends on the reason behind your diagnosis. If you have a thick neck with lots of fat and/or muscle, I don't think it will make much of a difference. The reason back sleeping is worse is because of the addition of the weight of the tongue. But stomach sleeping still has the weight of the rest of the tissues. Add in the slight torsion and the possibility the tongue is still going to shift, stomach sleeping is not a cure nor treatment.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I definitely prefer stomach sleeping (easier on my broad shoulders and I find I'm just not comfortable sleeping on my back for long periods....probably because I got myself trained to move before diagnosis and treatment)...but I probably don't fit into the group you're looking for, stcrim. In my case, I have quite low AHI numbers (<0.3) and an average respiratory rate of about 10-12 when I'm asleep.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 14 276 5 hours ago
Last Post: EasySleep
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,081 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,117 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 368 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7
  [Equipment] Which 24 Hr Oximeter to buy & PC/Tablet compatible software EasySleep 0 332 11-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Lowenstein Software shawsg 2 574 09-27-2023, 12:10 PM
Last Post: shawsg
  Side Sleepers vs Back Sleepers cmpman1974 16 1,487 09-14-2023, 04:48 PM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.