Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stop Breathing
Idea 
Stop Breathing

I woke up this morning and believe it was due to not breathing at all.
The chart showed a flat line for a few seconds.
Does a Resmed S9 autoset force air in if your brain fails to tell you to breathe?

Using CPAP setting of 12
No EPR just fulltime pressure and 5 humidity.
Temp at 78 F

I had a sleep study and CPAP is what they recommended.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stop Breathing
It does unless it is a "clear airway" event. If it detects the airway is clear, it does not raise the pressure as there is nothing to open.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gajoel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
the autoset is not ASV but can distinguish if airways is open or closed also cannot tell if you,re wake or asleep
maybe in this instance you were awake

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2013, 09:21 PM)gajoel Wrote:
I woke up this morning and believe it was due to not breathing at all.
The chart showed a flat line for a Kate Sessions 1/2 day seconds.
Does a Resmed S9 autoset force air in if your brain fails to tell you to breathe?

Hi gajoel, welcome to the forum!

If you stop breathing because of (1) an obstruction or (2) a problem in your central nervous system, in either case an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV) class of machine will step in breath-by-breath to raise & lower the pressure to ventilate your lungs. A "Bi-level" machine can also do this if it has the "back-up rate" feature, but not as effectively or comfortably.

A machine pressure difference (between inhale and exhale) of 10 cmH2O is usually adequate to fully ventilate a person with unobtructed healthy lungs.

Most of my apneas are classified by my machine as Central Apnea events. On some nights my CAI (Central Apnea Index) is worse than 5 per hr all by itself (not counting other types of events). Some insurance companies require both these conditions to be met (CAI greater than 5, and most apneas are Central) before they will pay for an ASV type machine, because it is about 2 or 3 times as expensive. (I am pursuing gettting insurance approval to get an ASV machine.)

In your case, does ResScan report you have many CA events?

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, to be classified as an event, it has to last for 10 seconds or longer.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2013, 09:21 PM)gajoel Wrote: The chart showed a flat line for a few seconds.

(01-30-2013, 11:19 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Also, to be classified as an event, it has to last for 10 seconds or longer.

Hi gajoel,

I think a flat line for a few seconds in the pressure or air flow charts could be caused by holding our breath during a change in position (turning over) which occurs sometimes during sleep. I think even a simple swallow could flat line the air flow chart for a few seconds.

Hard to know what may have caused us to stop breathing for just a few seconds.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bad/good dreams, rolling over, talking in our sleep...it's a long list.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2013, 09:21 PM)gajoel Wrote: Does a Resmed S9 autoset force air in if your brain fails to tell you to breathe?

Using CPAP setting of 12
No EPR just fulltime pressure and 5 humidity.

If you're set on CPAP, the machine doesn't change the pressure under any circumstances.

If you turn on EPR, it drops the pressure when it thinks you're exhaling, but not in response to apneas.

If you set it on APAP, it only adjusts pressure upwards or downwards slowly. It's not trying to "fix" any one apnea event. If you have an apnea, it will probably not react until the apnea is over. It's sort of like it's trying to prevent the next apnea, not to fix the current one.

An APAP is basically trying to find the right "fixed" pressure that handles your apnea, but it adjusts the pressure up or down slowly throughout the night as your needs change. It usually only changes pressure something like 1 cmH2O per minute.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.
I started out using the EPR but my AHI was around 7.
I then switched to CPAP only and that number has fallen to around 3.
Passed couple of nights I am having trouble with nose itch.
I tried benadryl the other night but it did not stop it and I woke up with no mask on.
I have only been on this for about a week and am trying to get a stable reading before experimenting much.
I now have my leak under control but it does make my nose bridge sore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,129 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 385 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 488 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.