Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water Changing in H5i Heated Humidifier
Water Changing in H5i Heated Humidifier
A part of my ResMed 9 Elite is also a heated humidifier H5i. I fill it up slightly below the max level (distilled water only) and that seems to be enough for 4-5 nights at least.

Should I be changing the water in it more frequently, for hygienic reasons? What's your experience?

Also, how often should the humidifier be cleaned itself?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water Changing in H5i Heated Humidifier
ppca, you will get a lot of different answers as there is no right answer, I clean my humidifier once a week, empty the water twice a week, once when I clean then mid week and top up the other nights.
Some people will empty and clean every night and some may not even do it once a week, so it's very individual.
Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
Depends on your hygiene level and where you live. The doc and the PT at the hospital said dump once a week and wash at least once every other week and everything should be fine. They are the ones that have had to deal with people who get respiratory ailments from their xpaps. You don't live in a sterile environment so super squeaky clean just isn't necessary. On the other hand, never cleaning your water filled unit - yeah, well, that's a choice some people make, but never something I would recommend to others.
Post Reply Post Reply
What's your immune status? Do you catch everything you encounter, or almost never get a cold? Are you on any immune suppressants?

If you get sick or are immune suppressed, diligence in hygiene is recommended - it could save your life.
If your immune system is robust, you may resist any potential exposures.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
My immune system is fine. I do catch a cold here and there, but nothing really extraordinary.

I just wanted to hear from other members what their habits are, in regards to maintaining their heated humidifiers, but like Tez62 said, chances are I might get a million different answers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I have compromised immune system and asthma. Bott doctor and pharmacy owner said to clean daily with 1 cup of white vinegar and a bit of dish in a bowl. I use plastic bowl from Dollar store. I let soak while  I have  a.m. Coffee. I  clean nasal pillows, small tubing, water chamber. Do heated tubing once a week. I change distilled water daily. Does not take long to do and have never had a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
The practices are all over the map. I clean some things some time. I never clean the hose. I wash the humidifier tub every now and then (when my round tuit shows up   Big Grin  ). I clean my mask cushions with Pampers baby wipes every now and then. My immune system seems to be in good shape. I have not even had a cold since I started CPAP about 5 years ago even though my CPAP therapy was not optimally effective until about 4 years ago.

I am merely reporting what I do and am not trying to convince anyone that what I do is the best way. It does seem to work for me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 111 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,087 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 374 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 266 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 153 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 199 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,932 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.