Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stop Therapy Question
Stop Therapy Question
Hi - I just purchased my third CPAP machine. The S9 AutoSet is better than my brick S9 Escape.

The instructions indicate: "To stop treatment at anytime, remove your mask and/or press" power button icon.

Does anybody just take off the mask without pressing the power button? Seems that taking off the mask automatically turns off the therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stop Therapy Question
My S10 machine has the same "feature" but after trying it I turned it off. I leave my mask on all night and if I wake up for awhile I just push the button on the top, disconnect the hose, go do my business, and return to bed (OK, actually a Recliner), reconnect to the hose and push the same button.

Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean you won't, of course.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi macheta,
If you have "SmartStart" enabled, when you take off your mask, the machine will shut off and when you put your mask back on and breathe into it, your machine will start. I don't have "SmartStart" enabled, so I just push the button to start or stop therapy. Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Most machines have a SmartStart or auto-stop feature that lets you remove the mask to turn off the machine. I use it. Sometimes I don't want to be bothered with hitting the start/stop button, so I remove the mask, and a few seconds later it turns off. Respironics machines can take considerably longter to turn off.

Advantage is convenience. Disadvantage is if you're a new user, you might activate the feature with a mask leak, or inadvertent removal. If you never remove the mask at night without being aware of it, or if you don't have large leaks, the auto feature is great.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I let it turn off without pressing the button will it show blips on my data reports?
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyHead will show a major leak for the few seconds that the S9 blows before shutting down. ResScan software seems to have logic written in that ignores any major leak just prior to any session end. Some people, who have leak problems, have reported experiencing unit shutdown while they were asleep when using this option.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did not use it at first, but enebled it a few weeks after I got my Airsense 10 and I like it. I agree, pretty easy to hit on/off button on top, but autostart is nice. Get up to use bathroom, ruturn and plug in hose and it starts on the exhale. Autostop is a little loud, but stops in about 10-15 seconds. I usually disconnect and hit the stop, and then mainly use autostart.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not want that to happen even if the risk was low. I turned this feature off. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
On my Dreamstation Auto BiPAP, I tend to use the button to turn it off as it takes a long time to auto stop and it jacks up my leak data. However, I almost always use the auto start instead of the button.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smart Stop doesn't work with some of my masks, so I'm just in the habit of pressing STOP. Smart Start works with all of what I have though. Love the feature.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 68 1,273 9 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 881 Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 585 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 485 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 547 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 815 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 317 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.