Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stopped Using Humidifier, No More Chest Pain
Question 
Stopped Using Humidifier, No More Chest Pain
I posted here several days ago about using a humidifier with the CPAP and getting some sort of cold/bronchitis not long after starting it. I was told to use the humidifier because I was waking up stuffy (from the AC's cold air). I was told by the tech that gave it to me to use the humidifier to prevent the stuffiness. I kept using it even though I continued to have chest pains, which lasted most of the day. 

It got to the point that I went to the hospital yesterday to make sure I wasn't getting sicker or something else was happening. I was told that my lungs were clear and from the x-ray everything seemed alright. Still, last night, I decided I wasn't going to use the humidifier anymore. I woke up this morning, stuffy again, but have almost no chest pain. My apneas also have seemed to go down and I got a pretty good sleep as well.

Other than being stuffy for a while in the morning, are there any risks involved with just NOT using a humidifier? I feel as though I have had problems with humidifiers in the past long before using one with the CPAP. As I said, this morning I have almost no chest pain, just stuffy, which I can deal with until it subsides. I have posted on another forum and gotten so many conflicting opinions on what the heck the problem is. 

I was using bottled water with the exception of one night where I had to use tap water. Some people, including my tech, told me it was no big deal. Others told me it was a major problem. I decided to just eliminate the humidifier entirely and not have to worry about it at all.

Will I be alright NOT using it, aside from the stuffiness in the morning?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stopped Using Humidifier, No More Chest Pain
I'm fairly certain that there are many here that don't use their humidifier. Only you know how you feel with and without it. I see nothing to worry over.
As far as the stuffiness goes, I noticed that if I turn my humidifier setting up high, not only will I experience more stuffiness, but my AHI seems to be higher.

I keep my humidifier on the lowest setting along with my heated hose on the lowest setting.

If you feel the air is too dry, then just use a room humidifier.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't think I'll get sick if I choose NOT to use it because of nasal congestion, do you? It subsides after I wake up after like an hour. Almost feels like allergies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2018, 10:13 AM)BDP87 Wrote: You don't think I'll get sick if I choose NOT to use it because of nasal congestion, do you? It subsides after I wake up after like an hour. Almost feels like allergies.

Treat your nasal congestion with a stand alone room humidifier, if you choose not to use your cpap humidifier.  Also, it's important to use nasal rinses, the one with the squeeze bottle and premeasured packets.  Use in the morning and a few hours before bed.  

I also use a product called XLear nasal spray. You can find it on Amazon.

Talk to your doctor or see an ENT for advice, especially if you suffer from allergies.   He may also be able to prescribe a nasal spray that will help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the thing is, when I go to bed I don't have the congestion. It's only when I wake up. I use a saline spray in the morning to help but I have wondered whether I should use allergy medicine BEFORE bed or just wait until I wake up when it's actually a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
My equipment provider told me to only use distilled water in my unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the humidifier, during the winter, set to 1 - 2. During the spring, summer and fall I keep water in the humidifier chamber but turn the humidifier off. This allows the air to move over the water and gives a minimal humidity.
My advice is to do what feels the best to you. 

Keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think that I've used my humidifier at all in the last two years. I got the replacement side panel with my as10 when I bought it. Only used the humidifier a few times in winter.  Also only ran tap water with it.
I do what makes me feel the best in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2018, 06:49 AM)gwc2795 Wrote: I use the humidifier, during the winter, set to 1 - 2. During the spring, summer and fall I keep water in the humidifier chamber but turn the humidifier off. This allows the air to move over the water and gives a minimal humidity.
My advice is to do what feels the best to you. 

Keep us posted.

I normally do the same as gwc2795 and it works for me. You might want to try that. Also, as OpalRose suggested, a nasal/sinus rinse such as NeilMed with the measured doses works well for me and it is not expensive. Just keep trying until you find the combination that works for you.

Going without using the humidifier should not present any risk. Your comfort level is the best yardstick. I live in an area with ample humidity most of the year but when visiting family in Virginia during the winter when the air is dry I need the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 754 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 338 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.