Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stopped waking up without machine?
Stopped waking up without machine?
Hi all,

I've been using a machine for about 2 years and I found it helped, though it wasn't perfect.

I went on Vacation for 2 months and didn't bring my cpap machine. (Was worried about cockroaches getting into it)

Now I'm home and not using the machine. I notice I am not waking up and things are basically fine without the machine.

Does this mean I don't need the machine any more? 

I'm worried my body is just used to having the machine and is not waking up even though it is not getting the right amount of oxygen.

Before I got help for apnea, I felt like I was waking up A LOT, like 50 or more times. That is not happening now.

Any help is much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stopped waking up without machine?
you didn't say how you feel but i assume you would have if you didn't feel well. feeling lousy would be a telling sign.

have someone check on you throughout the night. if that's not possible, a video camera and/or audio recorder can help you determine if you're having apnea, snoring, thrashing, whatever. sleeping with your machine on lowest tolerable pressure setting may tell you something. minimal pressure is still some level of treatment but any events that you had would be indicative of continuing apnea.

the chances of some kind of recovery from apnea are slim but not unheard of. have you lost a lot of weight?

a sleep study (polysomnography) is the only accurate way to know. the next best thing, home sleep testing equipment can be rented from online and sometimes local sources.

also, search this site for info on relatively inexpensive oximeters supported by sleepyhead and oscar. that would answer your question about O2 levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might discuss having another sleep test with your doctor. Bad things, like pulmonary hypertension, CHF, etc. may occur silently over time. There must have been a reason for the CPAP prescription, so unless you have lost at least twenty pounds or stopped some other behavior (like drinking), it may just be that you are oblivious to minor disturbances and awakenings.

At the very least, I would use the machine for a week or so and post some of the charts for community comment. Perhaps someone might spot something to incentivize you to keep up with necessary therapy.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but you may be playing cpap craps with your health.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2019, 03:43 PM)Greg543 Wrote: Now I'm home and not using the machine. I notice I am not waking up and things are basically fine without the machine.

Does this mean I don't need the machine any more?

That alone doesn't tell you whether or not you need the machine. It's possible that you're waking but have no memory of it.

In your profile you state you're unsure of the pressure setting and that you're not using software. You also state that during the two years you used your machine it helped but wasn't perfect.

Consider taking advantage of the tools available here at ApneaBoard. Get the user manual for your machine so you can learn how to read and, if necessary change, the pressure setting. You can also download the free OSCAR software here. That will go a long way towards determining whether or not you need to keep using your CPAP machine.

It's very rare that obstructive sleep apnea goes away, although significant weight loss can sometimes make that happen.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster: Testing OSCAR link ... OSCAR to see if the system provides the link as it did for the previous software. -- Apparently it does if you remember to put the number sign # (hash tag ) in front of the word OSCAR. -- All appears to be well.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 0 36 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 156 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 191 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 305 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.