Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stopping Win 10
I wanted to play Zork.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2016, 06:21 PM)justMongo Wrote: 16 bit applcations work on Win 7 32 bit. The 64 bit OS has the 16 bit system gutted.
16 bit goes back to the IBM AT days.

(05-09-2016, 07:27 PM)justMongo Wrote: I wanted to play Zork.

I got curious and Googled "zork on windows 7 64 bit" and found that there is a site that is dedicated to this specific topic. You will need a shareware named "DOSBox".

Ah! the good old days. I remember having to code by candlelight, sneakernet, and having to re-wind the DVD's. Big Grin
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used DOSbox to program older Kenwood GMRS radios. This is a case where an old '386 computer running Win 95 did a much better job.
Post Reply Post Reply

(05-10-2016, 08:37 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Ah! the good old days. I remember having to code by candlelight, sneakernet, and having to re-wind the DVD's. Big Grin

How did you rewind DVDs? I know, a DVD rewinder.
I'm guessing you mean rewind VHS tapes.

Ever rewind paper punch tape?

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 10:35 AM)justMongo Wrote: How did you rewind DVDs? I know, a DVD rewinder.
I'm guessing you mean rewind VHS tapes.

Ever rewind paper punch tape?

1. A bad attempt at humor.

2. Yep!

3, Remember loading programs from a cassette . . . circa TRS-80?

Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
I had an IMSAI 8080. I also had an Alto from Xerox PARC.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

On another note, A couple of interesting news items:

Dell's newer laptops no longer have DVD drives.

Intel's Skylake and Braswell chipsets no longer support USB 2.0. Only 3.0 which usually won't be a problem since 3.0 is backwards compatible. However, installing Windows from USB is not possible.

10TB drives are hitting the retail market. estimated street price is about $720 US Smile

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
My newest computer has no DVD drive, and only has USB 3, SD, HDMI and of course fast wi-fi and (surprisingly) wired ethernet. Alan, the huge drives are okay, but the cool trend is solid-state up to 1-GB.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 10:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: My newest computer has no DVD drive, and only has USB 3, SD, HDMI and of course fast wi-fi and (surprisingly) wired ethernet. Alan, the huge drives are okay, but the cool trend is solid-state up to 1-GB.

Respectfully, do you mean up to 1 TB? I have a W7 machine I put together with two 1 TB Samsung SSDs. And it boots so fast the Windows flag doesn't get a chance to form.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Prices are still too high on SSDs. Read an article that Seagate has a 10TB SSD hitting retail but if you read into it, it mentions RPM speed so that would make it a hybrid.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply