Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stopping breathing on exhale
Stopping breathing on exhale
When I stop breathing and I zoom in, my mask pressure is always at the bottom (EPR 2). Is this normal to quit breathing after exhaling? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stopping breathing on exhale
Normal might be subjective but it makes sense. no pressure is available to open your airway, it collapses and you have an obstruction. That would be my non-professional guess.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that I sometimes quit breathing on the exhale. I'm eager to hear the responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
The majority of apnea I have seen begin at the end of exhale, however it is the inhale that is obstructed, or in the case of central apnea, does not begin. It is unusual for an obstructive apnea to start once inhale begins, however a breath may become flow limited or include a snore suggesting obstruction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
At the end of exhale is the most likely time for it to happen, though it can happen at any time, but as the pressure is at its lowest and you are just about to inhale it would be the most common time for it to happen.  However, you airway can become restricted at any time.  If you are on a lower pressure and on an APAP and the low is a long way from the normal pressure you require it might be inclined to happen more often.

If you are on an APAP, I would increase the low pressure a little to try to stop this happening.

You have a data capable machine, so get Sleepyhead software and upload your data.
Let the others see what is happening so they can advise.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2017, 02:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The majority of apnea I have seen begin at the end of exhale, however it is the inhale that is obstructed, or in the case of central  apnea, does not begin.  It is unusual for an obstructive apnea to start once inhale begins, however a breath may become flow limited or include a snore suggesting obstruction.

Thanks, that simplifies it so I understand it.

I am now starting 3rd year on Cpap. At first I had all obstructive apneas with FFM with pressure around 13.
At pressure 9-epr2 with nasal I am having all CA's and Hypopneas (not very many).
I am now at pressure 8-epr2, no Ca's or Hyponeas. I am getting 6-10 user defined events anywhere from 8-19 seconds (This is what I am trying to stop)
When I go below 8, The OA's come back.
I've tried Apap, (pressure set at 6-10) and the machine sees the hypopneas, and increases pressure so I start having more CA's, never an OA.
I've tried without the machine and I wake up with headache and feel worse.

I hate to take up anybody's time here because my AHI is so low. I just keep trying to tweak it and
get rid of all events if I can.
Or should I be happy with no CA's, or OA's and live with the user defined events ( which I assume are almost an Apnea)
My flow limit, leaks, and snore are pretty much flat lined.

It seems like breathing through my nose causes CA's and through my mouth causes OA's
Since I can't get a reading off the Apap, I am not sure which way to go with pressure or EPR, up or down. Or just be happy where I am.
Post Reply Post Reply
At pressure 8, EPR 2 your pressure is 8/6. You might try 8 with EPR at 1 (8/7) and see if that works any better. I don't track user-defined events, and unless you explain what they are, it's hard to judge their importance to you. What happens on the flow rate chart during one of these? If you feel good, you're good enough.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks,
I'll try that tonight.
The user defined events I am having are a 50% reduction in flow
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,131 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 385 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.