Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Strange Happenings 3rd week w/CPAP
Strange Happenings 3rd week w/CPAP
I wonder if anyone else has experienced a couple of things that happened in the last week of use. My first 2 weeks went really well and I still (most days) feel a whole lot better than my pre-CPAP days. A few nights ago, in the middle of the night, my eyes flew wide open and it was as if I was paralyzed. I was conscious of the fact that I wasn't breathing. I could feel the air rushing down my throat and I remember the thought going through my head that I needed to breathe, which I did. It was kind of scary. And it felt difficult to take a deep breath for a few minutes. Then..

Last night, I awoke myself snoring with my cpap on!! What is up with that?

Anybody else ever experienced these kind of things?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strange Happenings 3rd week w/CPAP
humm. Sounds like a nasty obstructive?
How are your leak numbers? You're not blowing air out your mouth are you?
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
My leak numbers were 0. I do have to use a chinstrap to keep my trap shut... And I have to put it on pretty tight to control that. It is so bad that in 3 weeks time, I am on my 2nd chinstrap. The first one was of a polyester (sort of) fabric and velcro. I stretched it out pretty quick. This second one has more non stretchy cloth to it and hugs the chin but I think I might still be getting this big mouth open during the night because I am waking with a dry mouth more often.. :/
Post Reply Post Reply
uh oh. open dry mouth = losing pressure, that leads to obstructives moving back in.

You might need to graduate to a full face mask or one of the hybrids.
I still get the dry mouth bit sometimes but with the FFM I dont lose pressure so the nasty apneas are kept at bay.

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup, sounds like it's time for a full face mask. These aren't really that bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
Though the FFM's are notorius for leaks, I seldom have trouble.
Most of the time I get zero leaks everynight for days on end.
The only thing I do is clean all sealing surfaces *every day* and clean the face too, right before using.

Finding the right masks that would fit properly and comfortably was an expensive trial but I found 3 out of 5 that work for me!
Smile

It seems a bit odd that you are not logging any leaks with your software though. The dry mouth is a good sign your getting mouth leaks though.
If SleepyHead could check out your data that would be something good for grins & giggles. Wink

Hang in there!

Okay

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
My printout from DME said No major leaks.. So I guess I could have had leaks just not major enough to show? I don't particularly like not being able to check my own data. Especially when I had to fork out so many $$$ for it between copay and deductible.. Sad

I awoke this morning and my chinstrap was on the floor. Guzzled down a half a bottle of water.. Might have to go to full mask..
Post Reply Post Reply
Mmhmm I have the same problem with chinstraps. They usually ended up somewhere else. Smile

"No Major Leaks" isn't what you want to know. You want to know about *all* the other little leaks that dry your mouth out and could be robbing you of therapy pressure.

*Checks the Remstar manual*
Hmmm....
I'm not sure if your machine collects robust enough statistics to be able to answer that question.
It only logs statistics on leaks that are "so large the machine cannot compensate" That's nice but...
That wont help you much and it also does not tell you *when* these leaks occured.
Example: suppose you get up and pull the hose off to go in to the bathroom at 2am leaving the blower running.
That's a big leak but you know that it's harmless since you know *WHY* it happened.

Anyone else here have more experience with the Remstar Pro Cflex+?

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey! I clicked on this thread because of the title. I was expecting a paranormal activity type situation. Bummer. I guess I'm the only one whose CPAP machine whispers all night for me to do bad things with frozen dairy products.

Anyway....a couple times in my life, I have awoken to not being able to move or open my eyes. I was completely paralyzed. I would feel the urge to move into a new sleeping position because of an aching shoulder or something and then panic when I realized that I could not get my body to move. My heart would be beating like a drum and I would feel sheer terror at the thought of not snapping out of it. Kinda like being claustrophobic in your own body. Months later I would begin to feel that same thing and immediately panic like I was free-falling out of my body. Like I wasn't connected to it at all.

It has rarely happened but it was the scariest thing ever. I would spend hours trying to move my arm or open my eyes...anything. Closest I have ever experienced to what you are talking about.

Now I am actually a little concerned that by rethinking through that experience will somehow cause it to happen tonight. I hadn't even thought about it in years, but thought of it instantly when I read the initial post in this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
No paranoral activity here today, Cowboy. Smile
You might have a touch of the old "Sleep Paralysis" though. There might be some meds to take for that. Not sure though.
:/

Just don't cross the particle streams and we should be ok. Smile
(Ghost Busters)

Cheers!

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 487 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 203 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 223 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,215 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Strange dry mouth patterns bbbl67 2 404 11-25-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: bbbl67

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.