Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Strange Question, Well maybe!
RE: Strange Question, Well maybe!
(12-27-2012, 01:47 AM)Jenni88 Wrote: ...don't know the difference between Apneas and Hypopneas...

Apnea = When you stop breathing.
Hypopnea = When your breathing is abnormally shallow.

OA = Obstructive Apnea = When you stop breathing because of physical obstruction.
CA = Central Apnea = When you stop breathing and the cause is neurological. CA on PAP machines usually means Clear Airway Apnea; which is probably a Central Apnea, but the machine doesn't have the capability to determine that you didn't breath because your brain told you not to breath, only that you didn't breath and your airway was clear.

AHI = a combination of the number of those events per hour.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2012, 02:02 AM)zonk Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 01:21 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I prefer SH but Zonk prefers ResScan. But he's weird. Wink
you,re not so far from wrong ... misfit more likely

Jenni88 ... what Paula and jgjones1972 said and also check "Sleep Quality" set ON (clinical menu - Options) to shows AHI and leak on the machine (as your last machine) otherwise shows only hours used if set on "Usage"

the data reset to zero at noon. you can still view last night data in the advanced info menu till you go to sleep at night or taking afternoon nap

I thought I had accidently done something because the info disappeared...so much to learn. Thank you for bringing that to my attention

I did get the mask adjusted for the higher pressure, but it is so tight it feels like it will break my face...will try sleeping like that, and did take off the ramp, and moved the start pressure to 6....it appears that it is going to almost 15...

Thank you to all of you who have offered help...I really appreciate it!Thanks
Jenni88
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2012, 03:02 AM)Jenni88 Wrote: I did get the mask adjusted for the higher pressure, but it is so tight it feels like it will break my face...

Jenni,

Since you're a long-time CPAP user, I'm assuming you're washing your face before bed and your mask cushion too, if you're putting any kind of lotion or cream on your face it will cause the mask to leak since it can't create a seal to your face if there's any kind of oily residue present.

You should never have to tighten your mask straps so tightly that it becomes uncomfortable, it should be snug enough to not get pushed-off your face by the pillow but it should not cause pain.

Good luck!

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2012, 03:58 AM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 03:02 AM)Jenni88 Wrote: I did get the mask adjusted for the higher pressure, but it is so tight it feels like it will break my face...

Jenni,

Since you're a long-time CPAP user, I'm assuming you're washing your face before bed and your mask cushion too, if you're putting any kind of lotion or cream on your face it will cause the mask to leak since it can't create a seal to your face if there's any kind of oily residue present.

You should never have to tighten your mask straps so tightly that it becomes uncomfortable, it should be snug enough to not get pushed-off your face by the pillow but it should not cause pain.

Good luck!

Ren

No one told me that Ren....Yes, I have used it for a long time, but I got no instructions at all...only when this new machine was causing problems did I seek WISDOM, and my daughter found this site....I knew none of this existed until last week...
I will not use lotion, and try it again tonight. Last night was a good night of sleep...Yay...but my face has indents this morning from the mask. I downloaded the nights info into Sleepy Time and it is showing a much higher pressure than I thought I was using...I cancelled the ramp feature and that worked fine.

I have to say it is so nice to have the ability to adjust things. May have to raise the pressure because my top end is set for 15 and last night it went to 14.76...so really close to the top. Suppose if it goes to the 15, that will be time enough to do it.

Thanks for this info...I am like a newby...
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2012, 01:47 AM)Jenni88 Wrote: Oh my...there is so much to learn...don't know the difference between Apneas and Hypopneas...but I did get the Sleepy Head program downloaded...It wouldn't update, but I did get the info from the SD card in...wow...it does record everything...amazed...what really amazed me was the number of times I woke and restarted...one night 17 times. No wonder I am tired. It also appears I need to adjust the mask fit again. Will do that and then try and get some sleep! Thank You all for helping....

An apnea is when breathing stops. Central is when it is the brain saying "no need to breathe". Obstructive is where the airway is closed by the relaxed throat muscles.

Hypopnea is shallow breathing.

If you download and install ResScan, follow the directions carefully. There is a bit about not installing the drivers.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2012, 10:12 AM)Jenni88 Wrote: I have to say it is so nice to have the ability to adjust things. May have to raise the pressure because my top end is set for 15 and last night it went to 14.76...so really close to the top. Suppose if it goes to the 15, that will be time enough to do it.

Thanks for this info...I am like a newby...

Leave the pressure settings alone for at least a week to 10 days. It takes that long for you to see a trend. 14.76 is not too bad. It's when you are regularly hitting 14.9 that you may want to raise it to 15.5 or so. But even then, go by how you feel.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2012, 01:47 AM)Jenni88 Wrote: Oh my...there is so much to learn...don't know the difference between Apneas and Hypopneas...but I did get the Sleepy Head program downloaded...It wouldn't update, but I did get the info from the SD card in...wow...it does record everything...amazed...what really amazed me was the number of times I woke and restarted...one night 17 times. No wonder I am tired. It also appears I need to adjust the mask fit again. Will do that and then try and get some sleep! Thank You all for helping....

To fix the update problem, close the program, right click on the start icon, select "run as administrator", enter the passwords as asked.

Let it do the update.

After doing that once, you can run the program normally.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2012, 12:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you download and install ResScan, follow the directions carefully. There is a bit about not installing the drivers.

I meant to ask, why does it not work if you install the drivers?
Does it "call home" and blacklist you like some software does?
I'm not interested in finding out first hand at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2012, 10:16 PM)Ugly Wrote: I meant to ask, why does it not work if you install the drivers?

Sean,

If it installs one of the 3 drivers, it will probably lock-up your computer if it doesn't find one of the 3 official ResMed branded devices to connect to. But just before it does that, your name gets entered into HomeLand Security's watchlist for CPAP terrorists! Dielaughing

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
[/quote]

Sean,

If it installs one of the 3 drivers, it will probably lock-up your computer if it doesn't find one of the 3 official ResMed branded devices to connect to. But just before it does that, your name gets entered into HomeLand Security's watchlist for CPAP terrorists! Dielaughing

Ren

[/quote]

You don't even want to know what happens if they find out you changed your pressure settings.Apology-2

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,205 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  Strange dry mouth patterns bbbl67 2 401 11-25-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: bbbl67
  Oscar Data (Anything Strange?) ShermansMarchingBand 2 452 11-15-2023, 10:45 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Treatment] Strange breathing waveforms on ASV Hrapovik 3 557 06-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Apnea23
  Waking Up After ~90 Minutes with Strange Head Sensation MickTravis 3 774 01-20-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: ewriter
  Very Strange Breathing Pattern upsman 3 500 09-10-2022, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Really strange mask pressure reading cathyf 4 593 07-14-2022, 08:17 AM
Last Post: cathyf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.