Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Strange Sound
Strange Sound
I just got this machine and it makes a whirring sound each time I inhale. This sound seems to get louder the longer the machine is on. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Could my machine be defective?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strange Sound
My machine makes a sound on exhale but don,t notice it much any longer. I place the machine lower than the bed and in summer keep a fan running all night. I don,t use PRS1 but if the sound get louder maybe its defective....Have it replaced while still under new machine warranty.
My guess is that the newly launched PRS1 60 series with the heated hose is quieter as manufacturers try to improve on the superseded versions.
Welcome to the forum
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried two of those units in January; finally gave up trying to get a quiet unit and purchased the S9 instead. The DME sent both REMstar units back to the manufacturer who would not admit there was a noise issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
That change in sound could be the C-flex turning down/turning up the exhale or inhale. Try turning the C-flex off and see if it still does it. If it does, return it and ask for another. If the second still does it, you'll have to decide if you can tolerate the noise. If not, ask for another brand. The S9 Resmed Elite or Autoset. Nothing that says Escape in the name.

A solid noise I could tolerate but one that changes with my breathing? Annoying as heck.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to check the grey foam filter is placed in the machine and replace the white disposable white filter if dirty
PRS1 unlike the S9 don,t have a filter cover ..sometimes the filter can drop off.

http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Forum!!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

It sounds like the issue you are having would interfere with your sleep. I know if it were my machine it would. I would recommend getting with your DME and see if you can get a different machine.

Best of luck to you in resolving this. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2012, 04:38 PM)terry01 Wrote: I just got this machine and it makes a whirring sound each time I inhale. This sound seems to get louder the longer the machine is on. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Could my machine be defective?

I had this machine for a short while and did notice that sound.
I am not sure what caused it, but when I put a soft pad underneath the machine, it almost eliminated the noise. I guess the motor in the machine caused the night stand/table to resonate slightly, making the noise more noticable. The pad eliminated much of that resonance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every once in a while I get that sound. I re-adjust my mask and move the hose around and the noise goes away, usually for good for the rest of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi terry01, WELCOME! to the forum.! I would take it back since it's new while you still have a chance.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I received a new remstar 460 that I was ready to take back. Same whining sound on inhale/exhale until I read the post about placing a mouse pad or foam UNDER the unit. Took most of the noise away and Its fine now. Try it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 186 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,215 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] DS2 Making whirring sound when inhaling egg 5 1,873 12-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Agent Smith
  Strange dry mouth patterns bbbl67 2 404 11-25-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: bbbl67
  Oscar Data (Anything Strange?) ShermansMarchingBand 2 454 11-15-2023, 10:45 AM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.