Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Strange black powder or soot problem
RE: Strange black powder or soot problem
I would skip the candle. I like your idea of running a few hours today with a with cloth over the outlet.
Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I don't have any Propane wall heaters, but good thought there.

So I left the machine running for about 2 hours while I went to lunch. I used a double filter (regular one and a hypoallergenic one under that one). Here is what happened.

[attachment=288]

The darker filter is the hypoallergenic one and the slightly cleaner one is the regular filter. Problem obviously not solved, except the white sock that I attached to the end of the hose, where my face will be, appears pretty clean. The hypoallergenic filter is getting most of it.

Whatever "it" is. Now I have opened all the windows and doors. Am setting off to clean the house again and vacuum top to bottom. Then will run the test again.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2012, 03:56 PM)Itsadryheat Wrote: Whatever "it" is. Now I have opened all the windows and doors. Am setting off to clean the house again and vacuum top to bottom. Then will run the test again.

It's.....

It's.....

[Image: woman-screaming-icon.jpg][Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=288]
ALIVE !!!! ShockShockShock

Whistle
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hilarious!

So now have dusted, vacuumed, and have my AC fans on high. The AC filters are getting darker by the minute.

Am thinking it was definitely the candle. Wow! Makes those cheesy fake candles with the led light in them look much more attractive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! Just Wow!

Keep us posted.

I'm glad you're finding the soot on the filters on the input to your CPAP. The only other thing I could think of was something crawled into your CPAP or grew in there and got shredded by the fan.

By the way, since the crud is on your input filters, you're probably not breathing more of it while on the CPAP than when you aren't on CPAP. Still, YUCK!
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
You know, those black bricks in the bag from Walmart are called charcoal, not candles.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2012, 07:36 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You know, those black bricks in the bag from Walmart are called charcoal, not candles.

Ah, that must be it. :grin:

Another update, problem solved, I hope. I finished cleaning, changed the AC filters, closed up the house and turned the machine back on with fresh filters. It ran 3 hours and filters appear clean.

I appreciate all of your input.hard to believe that a candle creates that much indoor air pollution. Lesson learned for me, will make sure my wicks are trimmed IF I burn a candle.

As an aside, I agree that it is nice to know that the filters pick up the soot, with the hypoallergenic one being more effective.

THANKS! Nice to know I have somewhere to go with these questions.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Your bill is in the mail.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry you had to endure this issue but the good news is that you just gave me the evidence I need to order nothing but the hypoallergenic filters! That was an impressive difference to say the least. Glad you figured it out now, I'm sure tonight you will sleep better!Smile
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2012, 08:46 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Your bill is in the mail.

Haha, Good point. Might be time for another donation to the board

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,327 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,463 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 331 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,205 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 550 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 390 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.