Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Strange graph
Strange graph
Hello All,

It has been a while and everything is going well with my CPAP experience. I generally have AHI in the 1 to 2 range, but generally the lower 1s. I had a chart that I have never seen before. Can one of you gurus tell me what is going on? It almost looks like the lower portion of the graph was cut off.

[attachment=6790]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strange graph
txrpls, take this with a grain of salt and wait for more experienced folks to chime in but I think I've read elsewhere in this forum that a flow rate wave form that looks like yours indicates a mouth leak. it looks like the leak graph rises at the same time. going out on a limb to test my 'knowledge'.
Post Reply Post Reply
This looks like you are exhaling through your mouth.

Were you using the P10?
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2018, 07:47 PM)JesseLee Wrote: This looks like you are exhaling through your mouth.

Were you using the P10?

Hi Jesse,

Usually, I would say that you might be right, but I use a chinstrap (ultimate chinstrap) that also covers my mouth and stopped my mouth breathing. I have also experienced this a couple of times since the original post. Last night my AHI jumped to 3.23 and the stretch where I had a similar graph, had 10 OAs. I'm thinking sleeping on my back does this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even though you have a chin strap air can leak through your lips. Your leak rate wasn't that high but it was elevated exactly the same time the flow graph is showing the missing exhale breaths.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2018, 08:16 AM)txrpls Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 07:47 PM)JesseLee Wrote: This looks like you are exhaling through your mouth.

Were you using the P10?

Hi Jesse,

Usually, I would say that you might be right, but I use a chinstrap (ultimate chinstrap) that also covers my mouth and stopped my mouth breathing. I have also experienced this a couple of times since the original post. Last night my AHI jumped to 3.23 and the stretch where I had a similar graph, had 10 OAs. I'm thinking sleeping on my back does this.

It would be nice to see 20 breaths.  I also us the UCS and get minor mouth leaking but my wave forms still look coorect.
PS. I fold a sock in half and use it to line the chin strap.  It helps to lower the leak rate and keeps the UCS clean.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2018, 08:33 PM)tedvpap Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 08:16 AM)txrpls Wrote:

Were you using the P10?

Hi Jesse,

It would be nice to see 20 breaths.  I also us the UCS and get minor mouth leaking but my wave forms still look coorect.
PS. I fold a sock in half and use it to line the chin strap.  It helps to lower the leak rate and keeps the UCS clean.

[attachment=7060] here is about twenty breaths from that flat area
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for showing the breaths.  It looks like the inhalation may be limited (the tops look flat) - you may want to try increasing the pressure.  
I have never seen the expiration look like that.  The peak flow rate looks about right but there is no area under the curve (low expiration time) so the volume of air must be leaking out the mouth.   Interesting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those are mouth leaks.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,343 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 281 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 304 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  Strange dry mouth patterns bbbl67 2 423 11-25-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: bbbl67
  Oscar Data (Anything Strange?) ShermansMarchingBand 2 468 11-15-2023, 10:45 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 398 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Woke up feeling absolutely awful - OSCAR graph analysis really appreciated new2paphopeful 2 737 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: stevew77

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.