Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Strange jump in apnea events
Strange jump in apnea events
Hello Apnea Board members,

I'm new to the forum, but have been using cpap for 1.5 years.  I've recently experienced a strange change to my nightly sleep reports, and would appreciate hearing from anyone who might have an explanation.

Normally, my sleep report from the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset shows an average of .6 to 5.5 apnea events, with the lower range being the most common.  For the past 5 nights, the sleep report is showing  10 - 11 average apnea events per night.  In the clinical settings for the machine, I'm seeing nothing that has changed.

However, my wife recently picked up the machine and accidentally turned it on when the water container was not installed.  I'm assuming it turned off by itself.  This may, or may not been a factor, but the timing is interesting.

I'm not experiencing any difference in my sleep pattern, and feel normal during the day - nothing to suggest that I'd had a major change in sleep pattern.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

As a second question - I've been an Apria customer from the beginning, but they are no longer a Medicare approved DME in my area.  Who is now responsible for the repair of my machine, should I need it?

Thanks for reading this, and for any replies!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strange jump in apnea events
Welcome to Apnea Board!  That's too bad that your AHI has gone up but I am sure we can find a way to help you get it back to an optimal place.  

The first thing you need to do is Download sleepyhead and post some screens!  Without the data and waveforms it's pretty hard to know what's going on or where to start to help you.  

1. Go [url=https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]here[/url] to download sleepyhead.  
  2. This link will help you organize you data.
  3. Then!  Follow this link to learn how to post a screenshot.  
  4. Finally, use an image service such as imgur to link your screenshot with this forum.  
C0mbe
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that the use of Sleepyhead and being able to post the graphical images is very helpful to our ability to comment on your problem. In your case it is important for us to know what type of events make up your AHI. Are they primarily OA, or primarily CA, or primarily H. From your machine that would be OI, CI, HI respectively. It is also helpful to know something about your leakage rate.

The events that the machine gives you-the AHI is the average number of events per hour not per night.

Repairs can be handled by any DME and they usually just send the unit back to Resmed. I am not sure how the cost is handled. I would ask Medicare about how to proceed with any necessary repairs, since the machine was purchased from Apria and they are no longer a Medicare approved source in your area.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Be assured that turning the machine on without the humidifier chamber is not damaging. As others have said, it should not be hard to nail down any issues if you download #Sleepyhead and give us someting to work with. We need to know the type of events and see if there is any pattern. Meanwhile, you might go ahead and change your machine from CPAP pressure of 8 to Auto mode with a pressure range of 7-15 and see if that gives you immediate relief.

To change the settings, press the control knob and home button at the same time, turn the dial to select clinical settings, then change mode to Auto, minimum pressure to 7.0 and maximum pressure to 15. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 23Tucson,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 341 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 267 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.