Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Strange readings!
Strange readings!
I had a night where my ResMed said I had 5.5AHI and I looked at it in disbelief.  The mask was still on my face in the morning and still sealed.  The chin strap was still in place, I had no idea what caused this, so I took out the data card (I don't look at it often) but there was just odd bits or data recorded.
The next night I had 4.1AHI and this got me worried, so I looked at the data again, nothing!
The next night dropped to 0.8, then 0.6, then it dropped again to 0.4, then 0.0AHI and has been there for last few nights?
Other than the fact I had a bit of a cold (it was not that bad, but it gave me a dry sticky throat) I could see no real reason why it should have done that and why no data?
Another night I lay awake with steady breathing all night until 7am and it had the cheek to say I had an AHI of 8, I am not going to post the data from that night as it was all over the place.  This was just before I started getting very low or 0.0AHI's again.
Very strange, the night I lay awake, I can understand the machine making mistakes, though you may think you are breathing smoothly and steadily, it may not be as steady as you think.
What I can't understand is why there was no data on the bad nights, even though the machine stored the AHI on the card and the screen?
There was bits of data, but what would have caused it?  Bad connection somewhere or a bad memory sector on the card?

Anyway, it is all a bit strange, but now I appear to be back to normal (though I will never be normal  Big Grin )  at least my AHI has returned to normal for now at least, in fact it is lower than it has been for a while with it not going above 0.3.  Had a few nights at 0.0 which is ideal, but I don't feel the best at such a low number, 0.2 is my sweet point.

The joys of CPAP!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strange readings!
I too, get weird readings. One night, I get a 2.2, and the next night, a 0.5. And, I haven't been sick since having started on my CPAP. 

I do know sometimes during the night, my mask will slip a bit and I can hear / feel air escaping. I reach up and readjust it. Don't know if that has an effect on the readings or not though.  Dont-know

My average is 0.4 events per hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi big guy,
Your AHI is fine at 0.3, in fact that is excellent. Even at 3.0 you are still doing well, so 2.2.is nothing on the odd night. Everyone has odd readings every now and again so don't worry, it is normal. It is just not normal for me to have such a big jump, the highest was 1 with the new machine.
There was something strange going on as my mask and chin strap was still fine in the morning. I thought all I had to do was look up the data card, but there were only bits of broken data on it for those nights.
Maybe the wife is trying to get rid of me by turning off the machine. lol.
I wake I stantly if the machine stops, so that won't work.
I don't know what happened and as there is no data I can't look to see, which is very annoying!
I just wondered if anyone had any theories. I will just have to live with it but here they look at all the apnoes and this counts against compliance to allow you to drive. Not that this small hicup should make any odds as the average will still be low.
The older machines were better in some ways here as they only recorded hours used and as lond as it was more than five hours you were seen to be compliant for driving.
However, with the newer machines they want to know your AHI as well as hours used and use some formula to see if they will allow you to drive. Crazy when you think they were happy with five hours use before.
You get the impression that they want to control the population here as to what they can do.
They have said they want to be electric cars in a stupid time frame, then we will be restricted how far you can go, even less when lights are on and the huge cost! However, I digress.

Keep it up Big Guy, you are in the comfort zone and doing well.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
One good thing is they have gone back to normal range now, so it is from max on a very bad night 1 to the usual 0.4 to as low as 0.0 which is a good as it gets.
I also find that the mask sometimes jumps on my nostrils when I breath out, I find this very annoying but I can live with it.

Anyway, first time back since new year, so A Happy New Year to you all.
LANG MAY YER LUM REEK.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 135 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 534 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 762 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,348 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 449 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 175 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  Strange dry mouth patterns bbbl67 2 423 11-25-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: bbbl67

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.