Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Strange smell during the day
Strange smell during the day
Hey Everyone!

Just started - about 2 months ago - using a cpap and it's been great…sleep great and feel great.

But Wink

A few weeks after I started I was getting out of my car, it was the middle of the day, and I could smell manure…lol

At least, that's the closest I could come to describing it. Maybe a cross between manure and freshly dug dirt. It was a fairly strong smell so much so that I asked my uncle if he smelt it, if he had any work done at his house and he said no to both.

Now I get that smell quite often. It doesn't last long and it's not as strong as that first time but it's been on and off, usually every day, since then.

I didn't put it together with the possibility of it being the cpap machine because I wasn't smelling anything funky while using the machine - and I've used both the pillows and the nose mask (never tried the full mask) and have settled on the pillows. The smell occurred while using both.

Reading through the forums I've noticed many discussing smells coming from the machine, or during the night, but has anyone had any similar experiences?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Rob
ps…I do have an appt. with the doc next week but I'd like to know hear what you all thing as well.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strange smell during the day
Has Mr. Doggie been sleeping a little too close to your air filter?

Actually, I could imagine a scenario that says with the 8 hour a day air flow into your sinuses your sense of smell could be altered a bit. But I really haven't heard of such a thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish it was a dog…lol

Post Reply Post Reply
This smell you describe is a organic, natural smell. The xPAP is all metal and plastic, and any smell it could cause would be more chemical in nature, so it seems unlikely that it could be causing this. Be sure to use fresh, distilled water (at least until you identify where the smell is coming from).

Do you ever get a rainout? If moisture stays in the hose, that can allow mildew and mold to grow. I would assume your Airsense has a heated hose and blows air slowly for an hour or so after shutoff, both to help minimize this. If you have rainout, a hose cozy might help. Once a week, take the hose with you when you take a shower.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I take off my mask many times I will smell things in the room that I normally would not have except for the fact I've been on the mask with a filter for 6-8 hours. During the winter it was typically a sweet smell that would last a couple of minutes. It would be something near the bed, bedding perhaps the fragrance in the clothes detergent or rinse.

For a couple days it once it was because Febreze had been sprayed on a chair in the room.

The extra smell sense disappears pretty quickly though and I don't get it any other times later.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Trident50,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear you are adjusting well to CPAP.
I haven't had that particular thing happen. Sometimes my husband will think he smell smoke or something burning and there's nothing there, he doesn't use a CPAP.
I've heard that called ulfactory Hallusinations, (sorry for the misspell.)
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
hmmmm aerophagia release?

furrrrrrrtttt!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm guessing your sense of smell is improving.
My sense of smell is definitely returning. At least in my machine there is a pre-filter and higher efficiency filter. Then the air passing through the humidifier will be further cleaned. I run the Rh as high as I can and likely helps sinuses to purge a little better. All in all I am not surprised this one of the benefits of this therapy.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2015, 08:23 PM)DariaVader Wrote: hmmmm aerophagia release?

furrrrrrrtttt!

Too-funny

This was my first thought after only reading the thread title.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2015, 09:23 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I'm guessing your sense of smell is improving...

As incredulous as that might sound, I think you might have hit on something. I noticed, after a couple of months of XPAP therapy, that I was interpreting smells somewhat differently than I ever had before, something I mentioned here a while back. Maybe this really happens.

That thought was lingering in the back of my mind when I originally replied to this thread, but it did seem, well, incredulous enough for me not to even broach the subject or even begin to know how to phrase it. Now I'm not so sure this isn't something that really happens.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,710 11 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,803 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,200 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,197 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  Strange dry mouth patterns bbbl67 2 401 11-25-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: bbbl67
  Oscar Data (Anything Strange?) ShermansMarchingBand 2 452 11-15-2023, 10:45 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,392 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.