Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stress and apnea?
Stress and apnea?
Can stress affect apnea? 

Work related stress can sometimes not allow me to return to sleep when waking to urinate, I realize and understand that.  But there are times lately that I do "sleep" throughout the whole night (that is, not waking to pee) and yet I have been more tired than normal upon rising. 

My work profession right now for me is quite stressful but it is par for the course and I accept it, just wondering if it can affect not necessarily sleep but more specifically apnea.  I guess what I am trying to ask is this:  Is apnea set and unaffected by daily lives and activities?

(...just self-venting perhaps, asking maybe more of a conversation question in order to wind down, usually peruse these forums before retiring, I should be more concerned about stress affecting my overall well-being...14+ hour days should be more of my concern but y'all are a great bunch of folks with whom to have conversations, thanks for listening...)

I will say, since being on PAP therapy my ability to fall asleep sooner has GREATLY improved!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stress and apnea...?
In my experience, I find stress can add to the Apnea occurrences. When I've had extra stress, it makes me unintentionally focus obsessively about falling asleep which of course produces the opposite effect. Then in that situation, apnea tends to occur somewhat more readily. Admitted, I've not faced this lately as the ASV machine and I are producing very good sleep results.

I'm kinda guessing, but maybe it's something we outgrow as we get adjusted to xPap therapy or in some way or other conqueror. But I'm certain we each do conqueror this phenomenon. Trust me bro, you'll get it beat. Thumbs-up-2

Safe New Year's weekend y'all.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
your profile doesn't give your pressure settings or whether you have a straight cpap, or an apap. what I have noticed is that anything that tightens my neck muscles increases the pressure requirements to keep the airway open. Conversely, if I take a muscle relaxer, my pressure needs go down. -- Now if i took that same muscle relaxer with no cpap, my apnea is worse ( going on how they made me feel pre-cpap) that same relaxed muscles makes collapse easier without the air.

If you are on straight pressure, perhaps the setting is inadequate when you are tense? its a guess tho. you need to post information and data to get anything better.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Daria Vader (clever username)  -what you say makes a lot of sense.  

There is another thread about alcohol consumption and apnea- most comments were whimsical in that topic but i can see how a cocktail can act as a muscle relaxer (a la stress relief) to help sleep.    When I am in nose-to-the-grindstone mode of work I tend to NOT drink.

Perhaps I consider two-fingers and a cube when I am under a considerable workload.

I have updated more of my hardware info and i need to upload some charts again for feedback.

thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if it affects Apneas directly, but it does affect you getting back to sleep or getting to sleep in the first place.
Sleep Apnea and:

Quote:Sleepfoundation said:
Anxiety may be associated with onset insomnia (trouble falling asleep), or maintenance insomnia (waking up during the night and not being able to return to sleep). In either case, the quiet and inactivity of night often brings on stressful thoughts or even fears that keep a person awake.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Stress, Medical Procedures, and Centrals mesenteria 2 618 05-13-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,889 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.