Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stroke and Central Apnea
Stroke and Central Apnea
Stroke and Central Apnea

I often mention that I have Central Apnea when discussing medical issues with people.  Recently a young woman responded that she too had Central Apnea.   I was surprised because Primary Central Apnea is pretty rare.  I asked how she was diagnosed and she replied that she was feeling very tired during the day and it seemed to her that she was forgetting to breathe even during the daytime.  She also said that all of this occurred after she had a stroke.  The Breathing Center is located in the Medula and Pons regions of the brain.  In doing my own research I found lots of reference to the Carotid Body and its role in measuring blood acidity (CO2 levels) and forwarding this information to the brain.  In this womans case the stroke disrupted her brains ability to interpret information from the Carotid Body.  Also of interest to me is the womans perception that she forgets to breathe during the daytime.  I also believe that this happens to me especially when at rest.  I am wondering if there are other Apnea Board Members with Primary Idiopathic Central Apnea are perceiving depressed breathing when awake and also if anyone has developed Central Apnea following a stroke.  My thinking is that Central Apnea related to Carotid Body malfunction can be treated with medicines such as Diamox and Theophylin.  Central Apnea resulting from a brain malfunction might require a different approach.  Of course use of an ASV machine is the least invasive therapy and my interest in medicines would be for research purposes.  In particular is there a medical therapy that would work for brain stem associated Central Apnea.    This approach could have implications  for treating daytime symptoms.  

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stroke and Central Apnea
Here is an old thread with some people experiencing depressed breathing during the day. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...day?page=3 Did any of you find any help for your depressed breathing?

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I just asked a parallel question in another thread...How do they test if you aren't breathing during the day? People often tell me I'm not breathing during the day. I'm beginning to take this seriously...

I believe testing breathing during the day would be difficult because you'd be conscious and focused on the breathing category: You could control your breath voluntarily.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2017, 08:23 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I just asked a parallel question in another thread...How do they test if you aren't breathing during the day? People often tell me I'm not breathing during the day. I'm beginning to take this seriously...

I believe testing breathing during the day would be difficult because you'd be conscious and focused on the breathing category: You could control your breath voluntarily.

Good Question. Some people measure desaturations during the daytime using a recording pulse oxymeter. Has anyone been hooked up with chest and abdomen bands for the day?

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting comments regarding daytime breathing.
I had four incidents where I passed out while working in the garden, straightening up after bending down, where I had possibly restricted my breathing.

This was put down as epilepsy which I believed was a flawed diagnosis, this led on to the diagnosis of Apnea which is equally suspect.

I should also add that on the start of this journey I was warned that if left untreated the Apnea could lead to a stroke or heart attack, which in my case would appear to be the wrong way round.
Post Reply Post Reply
Phill,
I was having "brownouts" after bending down or squatting then rising.   I was subjected to all kind of tests without any results that would lead to a probable cause.  While reading an article on Doxazosin (Cardura), I saw my problem listed as a side effect.  I tried reducing my dosage and the brownouts disappeared.   I informed my PCP and Cardio as to the results. Both of their replies were, "Hmm, I'll have to remember that".  Boy, I'm glad they are getting paid the big bucks!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 852 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.