Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP cause sores inside mouth?
RE: Can CPAP cause sores inside mouth?
I switched to nose pillows early on. Loved them, but just couldn't keep mouth leaks low enough even with a chin strap. After about a month I developed canker sores on outside of upper gums. I switched to a FFM and the sores cleared up within 3 days. I attribute them to dry mouth from my lips flopping open on exhale. No direct evidence.
Dick
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: Ten days ago I noticed I was developing painful sores on my tongue and cheeks. I saw my family doctor yesterday and he stated it was likely a symptom caused by the mask being too tight, resulting in my nocturnal chewing of my tongue and cheek! He said the sores looked like cankers and described them as Apthous Ulcers, prescribing Triamcinolone 0.1% paste applied twice a day.
I was also told to stop using the CPAP machine for three days to allow healing time.

Hi Craig, In my opinion, mouth ulcers are caused by excess acid in the mouth. This can be caused by "mouth breathing" increasing the rate of evaporation of saliva, resulting in an elevated acid content of the saliva. Your doctor could be right about the chewing, but little nicks in the mouth are normal & should not turn into ulcers. Over years I have tried many remedies - none of which have helped. The best treatment I can recommend is to clean your teeth with white toothpaste after every meal but DO NOT RINSE after you finish brushing. Try it - it has worked for me & many members of my family. Also you might look at reducing mask leaks which will decrease the amount of air exiting from your mouth.
Hope this helps. I would not advise the stopping of CPAP use for any reason other than trauma.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely. I've had a chronic sore on the left side of my tongue since using the CPAP. Had it checked out two years ago, no Cancer, just sores created by the vacuum created in my mouth by my nose mask. This vacuum causes my tongue to rub up against my lower left molars when using the CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,079 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.