Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stroke directly caused by apnea
RE: Stroke directly caused by apnea
Personally I have had good luck with Doctors, but not real good luck with Dentists. Even so, my little survey of Dentists is not really broad enough to call all Dentists quacks, incompetent, money grubbing deranged people. Some of them sure the heck are and I assume some Doctors are also, maybe it's a people thing and less of a profession thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2016, 12:40 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Personally I have had good luck with Doctors, but not real good luck with Dentists. Even so, my little survey of Dentists is not really broad enough to call all Dentists quacks, incompetent, money grubbing deranged people. Some of them sure the heck are and I assume some Doctors are also, maybe it's a people thing and less of a profession thing.

I must be lucky with my dentist. I just thought I had cracked a crown, but it turned out to be the tooth under it and it finally broke off. I took the crown in with me and he was able to reattach everything and save me the cost of a new crown. The tooth had been dead for about 40+ years, but is still functional. Also had a chance to talk about future options if needed.

Now, on the other hand, I had a lot of dental work that was done by military dentists and had several instances where a crown should have been used, but they put in aa large filling with a bunch of pins to keep everything together. Thankfully, all of those have been replaced.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
A shortage of oxygen can initiate a stroke as recently experienced by an extended family member. It requires other issues to be present however but can be the triggering factor for the cards to finally fall. This family member likely did not have apnea. Blood pressure, really high or really low can start the chain of events.

Phil,in the absence of identifying a cause, docs treat high blood pressure as that alone significantly increases your risk of heart attack or stroke. It took 3 years for docs to figure out why I had high blood pressure sometimes and not others. In the meantime, I took blood pressure med. Now that they know it's caused by acid reflux, I take a higher dose of Prilosec and no blood pressure meds.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did say "spurious" diagnosis of high blood pressure.

No mention of high BP was made during a number of visits to the emergency department, or my GP, and no indication during 5 weeks of home monitoring, and nothing on the monitor implanted in my chest.

I would say "spurious" is putting it politely, and had I not taken the decision to stop taking the medication I would have been dosing myself with whatever the drug was to no good reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be careful regarding doctors who want to prescribe blood pressure pills on the basis of readings that are due to white coat hypertension. That happened to me.

Also, make sure medical professionals take blood pressure properly with arm resting on a flat service and that is the only activity that should be occurring. I wish I had a nickel for all the times it has not been taken correctly.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2016, 11:45 AM)Phill Wrote: Having been told to take the medication as I am not really sure what is wrong with you "I had better do something", a totally spurious diagnosis of high blood pressure, and abysmal treatment for Apnea, I would suggest I have every right to badmouth the medical so called profession.

Yes, the system is bad in a lot of ways. However, don't become one of those people who take skepticism too far and don't get medical treatment they really do need.

It's important to realize that there are a lot of problems with the medical mafia. However, we do need to realize that they still do a lot of good, even for the sheep who just accept everything the doctor tells them.

Far too many people have taken skepticism of the medical mafia too far and miss out on medical treatment they really did need. A lot of people who really DO need CPAP don't get it because they think it's just medical mumbo jumbo.

Yes, you probably are being ripped off by the medical mafia for your CPAP therapy. That doesn't mean you don't need it. You'll probably get ripped off by the medical mafia if you get treatment for a broken arm, too, but you do need to get it fixed.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Firstly I'm very sorry for your brother.

That said how can you people here be so ignorant?

They told me back in 1996 that sleep apnea leads to heart attack, stroke and death. You all have been aware of the connection as well, shirley.

In fact they said the average life expectancy of an osa sufferer was 7 years.

Dunno what they say now but I am fully aware that I am living today thanks to Professor Sullivan from Australia and his little team at Resmed. I probably would have been dead 16-17 years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand what is being said, but having had two suspect/flawed diagnosis, I must say I am thinking that the sleep test we are working from may well not be worth the paper it is printed on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been diagnosed with TIA's and live in constant fear waiting for the stroke to happen. My apnea is not being controlled and I average 16 ahi per night, have mostly obstructive sleep, but some centrals, and I don't really understand how to analyze my sleepyhead reports, and the doctors don't care, just pass me off to another doctor.

My Tia's are mostly random bouts of extreme vertigo that resolves. Never know when it will happen, but may be related to my neck and circulation, as it occurs after having neck compressed as in hairdresser's wash basin, etc. so not sure if apnea is solely to blame. But it can't be good I'm on cpap almost a year and have horrible results.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2016, 11:00 AM)Phill Wrote: I understand what is being said, but having had two suspect/flawed diagnosis, I must say I am thinking that the sleep test we are working from may well not be worth the paper it is printed on.

I have many problems with the medical mafia.

However, for most patients whom they diagnose with apnea, the diagnosis is a clear cut as an X-ray showing a broken bone, and the need for CPAP is a clear as needing a cast or other treatment for a broken bone.

I haven't seen your own test results. Did you have a sleep test? In-lab, at home, etc.? Did you get a copy of the results?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Y no photos of mask-caused "sores" on the www? nelsonka 1 378 12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  High amount of central apnea caused by OSA? LiaASV 32 2,435 12-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,086 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 987 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  central Apnea then Chyene stroke pops up Jessher 10 692 09-23-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Jessher

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.