Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Opinion Poll
This poll is closed.
Probably not a realistic solution.
66.67%
4 66.67%
Hey, this might actually work for some.
33.33%
2 33.33%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Wondering if anyone has heard of this
RE: Wondering if anyone has heard of this
Viewed strictly from the standpoint of power density, the technology is not there.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 04:29 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: The technology is not a fraud. It already exists in the form of Piezoelectric Micro Pumps which currently have medical applications. Takasago, a Japanese company, is one manufacturer and it's devices are described as miniature, slim and lightweight diaphragm micro pumps which enable continuous micro fluid delivery. Self priming, low noise, low magnetic noise and low power consumption achieved.
I know nothing about Stephen Marsh who is pushing this application and saying air can be the fluid that the pump delivers.
Whether it can deliver a pressure over 10 cmH2O to address apnea - I don't know. I would have to research it and I don't feel motivatedSmile

Solar panels are real too, but making them serve as roadways, parking lots and doing what solar roadways claims is also unpossible. It is the plausible element that let these scammers walk away with millions from the gullible, while producing some slick video and small scale models and concepts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A few things to consider.
Circuitry and battery are viable with today's technology, just look at the small "in the canal" hearing aids. Those hearing aids can be set to specific settings, so the circuitry can be accessed by a computer to be adjusted.

The big question would be if those pumps would be able to supply an adequate pressure to treat osa. MobileBasset already pointed out that there are micro pumps.

IMHO it is quite an interesting concept that could revolutionize sleep treatment. The next step would be to get it where it could do Bi-Pap.

Perhaps this is a fraud. One thing they would have to be concerned about would be the FTC & SEC. The SEC is working on rules for crowdfunding.

IMHO need to give it time and just see how it shakes out. If it is a fraud then time will expose it. If not, then let the little bugger prove itself and let's just see how effective it can be.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not going to vote in this poll because I don't see the market position of this device as a replacement for daily CPAP use. At least not soon.
However, if a small disposable could work for just enough hours to let me sleep through a trans-oceanic flight, say from LA to Singapore, that's a disposable device that would interest me. Of course I'd still need my chin strap, but the thought of revving up a full-size PAP machine on an Airbus 308 in economy class is not inspiring me to travel to visit long-time friends overseas.
I see this as a potential short-term supplemental device.
And of course, smaller technology always has its detractors. Most audiophiles still point out the drawbacks of earbuds, as an example. But you don't run into many audiophiles with wired padded earphones on long walks on the beach, so who cares what they think of earbuds.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's April 1 somewhere.

I'm really amazed that this thing is getting any traction. Next thing you know, they'll be advertising an aftershave with pheromones that will make Sports Illustrated bikini models seek me out by the dozen.

If you could move enough air with a hearing aid battery in this thing, you would be able to use one of those hearing aid batteries to power the S-9 all night. Amplifying sound a tiny amount is no where near pushing 2,000 L of air at pressure all though the night.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't see it happening.
HOWEVER if it gets people thinking about alternatives to current cpap tech I'm all for it.
My vpap is a long way from a belt drive cpap machine. I have read a kangaroo tail is a very efficient energy recovery device. Don't recall who here said it but if the energy of exhalation can be conserved that would possibly be useful tech.
This funding attempt looks like a scam- but if it serves as a catalyst for rethinking cpap machines I think that great.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 04:29 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: The technology is not a fraud. It already exists in the form of Piezoelectric Micro Pumps which currently have medical applications. Takasago, a Japanese company, is one manufacturer and it's devices are described as miniature, slim and lightweight diaphragm micro pumps which enable continuous micro fluid delivery. Self priming, low noise, low magnetic noise and low power consumption achieved.
I know nothing about Stephen Marsh who is pushing this application and saying air can be the fluid that the pump delivers.
Whether it can deliver a pressure over 10 cmH2O to address apnea - I don't know. I would have to research it and I don't feel motivatedSmile

Frankly, I was intrigued as well and checked Takasago's website (takasago-fluidics.com/products_pump/piezo/). Their highest flow rate for a piezoelectric micro pump is 20 ml per minute, which I would say means sure death if one would use it. The device seems larger than the Airing device at 33 x 33 x 5.5 mm.

I think this is a scam... but a rather lucrative one apparently! They've already raised $606,000!
Post Reply Post Reply

Um, fluids, with non-compressible hydraulic properties (in functional terms), are not comparable to compressible gases. And for a power supply? HOly crap - next thing they will be telling us is that the little thing is powered by either an internal cold fusion reactor or a tiny, tiny mouse running on an internal wheel cage. Or elves.

IMO, the "technology" in this case is DOA.

If folks just want to get rid of excess cash, I can think of several avenues that will actually help people, well, other than the "inventor".

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Apart from issues of power density and micro pump capacity, how the heck does this thing stay in your nose under pressure without headgear? A P10 won't maintain a seal above 14 or 15 cm, even with headgear (of a sort). Maybe there are hooks on the nose buds!?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 165 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 395 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Diagnosis] Unique situation, wondering if anyone could elaborate on my study kc90 6 537 12-27-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP, wondering how well it's going Riayain 70 4,138 05-01-2023, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Silly question perhaps, but I'm wondering Windswell 2 577 09-16-2022, 03:08 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Has anyone heard of AerSleep? Sean Turvey 5 3,437 08-06-2022, 02:14 PM
Last Post: cronkster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.