Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Struggling with Transition from Nasal to Pillows
RE: Struggling with Transition from Nasal to Pillows
(04-05-2022, 11:01 AM)thistle Wrote: I had to take the CPAP off about 5 hours in last night.  The leaking sound and feeling wouldn't stop no matter what I tried.  It was just annoying and distracting.  I also had more flow limitations than normal early in the evening and I'm not sure why.  I'm starting to think nose pillows just aren't the right fit for me.

Is it worth trying a cushion to change my P30i to an N30i?  I think that would be a pretty easy trial to do.  Otherwise I'll look at going back to my N20.

It is my understanding that the P30i and N30i nasal pillow cushions are 100% identical.
Post Reply Post Reply
The headgear is identical; the cushions are completely different.
Post Reply Post Reply
A bit late to this but I've gone back to the p30i after much trial and error in the start. At first the pillows really irritated my nostrils and I spent a week or so looking like I'd been acting out Scarface. I got my DME to send me an n30i which was helpful and allowed my nose time to heal. Now that my nostrils have toughened up, I went back to the p30i and strangely found that the small size works best for me (I use a Medium n30i ((and started CPAP with a Large Wisp?! Go figure??)).

Is the n30i more comfortable overall, yes. The trouble is, I'm an active sleeper so the comfort is offset by me waking up constantly to readjust the mask every time I turn over. The p30i stays in place like a champ and seems to have a real low leak rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
MassMisanthrope - Have you tried taking Chelated Magnesium before bed to see if it will reduce your restlessness?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No. It's not like I'm a fitful sleeper, I just apparently turn over a few times (probably overstated my "active" sleeping). Knocking the n30i off kilter is what was waking me up. Not so with the p30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had several dreamwear masks some time ago. Used them wth no issues, until I got a "bump" on the side of my nostril. Eventually that was surgically removed, and doc said "got it all". Switched to Wisp, and then the ResMed N20....over a few years of treatment.

Thought I'd go back and try some masks. I tried the P30i. I even bought the Respironics strap with drop arms to make it more stable. I've never had such bad AHI!

I recently found the N30i for a price I couldn't resist. I wanted to switch away from the N20...I've used it a little bit. AHI approx 5....which is terrible compared to the N20's score.

My story isn't important. Except I feel your concern....

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe my comment are a bit "interested"...

I tried most nasal pillow and your comments are mine.  But, 3 months ago after replacing my CPAP I also decided to change my Swift FX Nano ... a nasal, not pillow.
I was still interested to pillows because they are smaller, but their lack of fixation on the nose was stopping me until I discover the F&P Brevida.

I tried it for 2 weeks, it was very comfortable, not many leaks but still tendency to move during the night.  The problem was the headgear, very poor fixation with a small band.
Looking for a better head gear, I found the one of the Evora.

So, I mixed the best of both... Brevida mask with a Evora headgear.
I use it since 2 months and this, FOR ME, is the perfect mask.

You can mix them together with 2 tie-wraps, but I designed an interface that make it easy.
I don't want to start a business with that, because I 3D print them and this is a long process, but is there in some partners that think this is a good idea to put on the market, we need to make an injection die...  $$$ and risk.

This is the result.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried it but the piping on the side of the face is blocked when you sleep on the side and the other side is not bog enough to give the flow I like.
Also it is quite a big bump on the face when on the side.
NOT COMFORTABLE.

Find my post with "Brevida Evora" search.
Post Reply Post Reply
thistle I've been trying to find alternates for my N20 masks. I mouth breath. I haven't had a full face mask I could wear for more than an hour. I finally tried the F&P Evora Full full face mask. It leaks badly for me....

Reason Im writing is I have found a way to adjust masks that works really well for me. I've done it with my N20 too.

I put the N20 on but not connected to the machines tube. So there's the foot long hose hanging off the front. It's wide open.
I lie down as if I'm sleeping.

Take a deep breath.
Plug the end of the little foot long hose.
Blow out through my nose.

I can tell where the leaks are.
If there are some, I release the two top straps and set them longer in length
Once the leaks are done at top I stop and go down to the two bottom hoses.

Same thing...any leaks I let the hoses out until there are no leaks.

This all allows the mask cushion to expand so it seals better on my face.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Headgear moving around? I have a bald spot. Headgear doesn't stay put.

I've dug out my old Knightsbridge Dual Band caps. I've been putting my mask on first, then putting the Knightsbridge DB on after. It works. However, I have mask marks for a long time next day. Oh well.

DaveL
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 85 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,085 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 5 347 04-04-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  [CPAP] Struggling with settings touwmus 0 106 04-01-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: touwmus
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 358 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 263 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 244 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.