Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Struggling with humidity problems
Struggling with humidity problems
Hi. I’ve been using a ResMed Vauto Bipap for about 6 weeks. AHIs are better - about 2-4 with range of 12-19 and all that feels comfortable and ok. 

Unfortunately still having same humidity problem as with the Airsense 10 Auto. Have tried all the usual solutions- auto, manual, hose cover, heated hose, room temp ok at 70, machine lower than head, praying, hoping, etc etc. 

Depends on mask brand. ResMed masks are like no humidity - very dry and hot.  My favorite F&P 407 results in flooding and spraying of water in my face and even through the vent holes..crazy. Also the humidifier tray is completely dry each morning regardless of mask or setting. 

I was so hoping the humidifier on this bipap would give a pleasant level like on the old S9 Autoset, but it’s just like the Autosense 10. 

Can you set the humidifier to manual zero and maybe prevent the spraying of water forcefully in your face but still have some moisture and coolness. I feel so defeated and don’t understand why I can’t get this thing to work right or why F&P masks (3 different types) result in massive flooding way beyond “rainout”. 

Thanks for any suggestions. I am out of ideas. Never had a humidity issue with any mask with the S9 autoset but it was getting old, and the new sleep study suggested moving to a Bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Struggling with humidity problems
Are you sure that your mask (nasal, pillows, full-face) settings, hose settings (regular, thinline), and climate controls (climate control, tube temp, and humidity level) are all set correctly? Perhaps your machine thinks it is using a larger hose and is blowing harder into a smaller hose and carrying additional water vapor?)

Have you investigated potential environmental issues like your environment is excessively dry -- even at 70-degrees -- which can be sending the wrong signal to the machine under certain conditions? Alternatively, is your environment excessively moist where the moisture from your breath condenses in the mask as it cools?

Have you switched the humidifier off and tried bypass humidification?

Have you tried preheating the humidifier -- pulled the water chamber -- and then checked carefully for an excessively hot humidifier plate which would signal a device issue?

And of course, you could try checking with your DME vendor to have them check the machine.

Since it appears to be a function of the mask, could it be a defective mask vent issue -- like a stiff foam diffuser?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I have tripled checked all that.  The major problem is that when I wake up I think I am dying and can't get any air or am drowning depending on the mask.  It takes me all day and anxiety drugs to get over every nights sleep.  It is ruining my life and scaring me to death.  I have been using cpap or auto for 10 years and have never experienced this.

The AHI numbers are good but I literally fly up from bed gasping for breath and it's so very horrible.  Last night I set the humidifier to off and woke up with extremely dry mouth. Then at 5 I changed to a ResMed Mirage mask and set it to auto and woke up at 8 gasping for breath because there was no humidity at all.  But the auto function must sort of be working because it drowns me with any F&P masks, so the machine must be able to get water in the tube.

I shake from fear from when I wake up until mid-afternoon. It feels so hopeless because I have tried several different masks and they either drown me or it feels like no humidity whatsoever whether on auto or set to something like manual of 6.  I don't understand and feel like it is the end of the world every night.  I have had heart tests and all that and that's all ok.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wondering how full the humidifier is at might and how you hose runs?
Is the machine higher, lower or the same height as your head?
You have maybe tried all this already!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Fill it at night and it is dry in the morning.

Changing things tonight to having the hose not go over the headboard, having the machine lower and creating a big down loop by the bed, and just laying the hose right on the bed above my head.

If that doesn't help, will return to the S9 Auto until I can fix whatever is causing this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I reread your post, the machine is lower than your head.
Either the humidity control is going funny during the night or if you have Air0con running it is not working properly.
Some masks have a bit bigger vents, and more air travels along the hose, but it is not huge amounts we are talking about.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
My set up is this:  The machine is at head height, the hose goes down, comes back up and goes round the back of the pillows and they round to my head.  I have FX pillows, but I changed the way the hose runs due to me always knocking the mask off as the hose used to go down
Fair enough, I used to get rain out when I was up at 18 of pressure, but it was not that often, however, at this pressure I was always dry of water due to leaks.  If I didn't get any leaks, which I have to say was a rare event, but when I did have rianout there was water gurgling in the hose and water spraying onto my face, most nights the noise of the water in the U bend in the hose woke me.

Sounds to me as if the humidifier control is a bit suspect.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
How long are you sleeping and after what time period are you awakened by water?

Have you physically changed out the entire mask at some point in time or are you simply replacing the cushions?

Since you apparently have tried and verified all of the settings, perhaps it is now time to try a few different new masks to see if one provides the results you desire.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried 4 nasal masks and 2 full face (that I could not get a good seal on no matter what I tried).

The humidifier's reaction is illogical as there is virtually no humidity with a Mirage II Nasal and flooding and spraying with a F&P 407 Nasal - both nasal masks - tried several times - same exact results - makes no sense to me at all.

I will have the humidifier checked, but am not hopeful.  I have had the same issues when I was using an Airsense 10 Auto, that has an identical humidifier to the Aircurve VAuto.  I have talked to a few others having difficulties with these particular ResMed humidifiers.  Most of the time when the are "checked" they say they are fine because the base is heating and there is some humidity....
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes you can arrange for a rental machine from a DME ... have you thought about changing brands and testing your mask combinations for a month?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 19 662 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 21 763 04-23-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 165 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  CPAP & Ear Problems Steptoe 11 1,544 04-19-2024, 04:05 AM
Last Post: jiyun
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 352 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Dreamstation 2 humidity controls Lesgreen 3 148 04-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Lesgreen
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 126 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.