Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stuck with a brick during loaner...
Stuck with a brick during loaner...
Very disappointed that I was not able to get anything data capable for my loaner period which will be around 2 months long. Told them when I buy I'll be looking for a ResMed AirSense 10 Elite as my prescription will not allow me an auto CPAP. So they sent me off with an S9 Escape as my loaner machine. No option for an elite or auto during the loaner period.

Is there any point in putting the SD card in my mac and going into SleepyHead to get data? Does it even record AHI's and number of hours slept on the SD card? I believe that is all the machine will show me on the display from what I've read as I've yet to use the machine yet. I was hoping to start using SleepyHead and learning all I could.

Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stuck with a brick during loaner...
Well, I don't know much about the Canadian health care system, only from what I read from others.
It is unfortunate that you were given this machine, even as a loaner. I can't see or understand the purpose or how they can determine your needs when there is no or very little data to be had.

Hopefully, after the 2 month period, you will be able to get a data capable auto set machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Escape does record compliance information which includes hours and dates of use. That's not going to be much help. Data can certainly help motivate users, and show them they are benefiting from therapy. Without data, you'll have to rely on qualitative evaluation, "how do I feel?". It would be a good idea to keep a log so you have something to discuss. In the days before CPAP data, patients were often asked to log daily responses to The Epworth Sleepiness Scale. You can research it if you want, but IMO the idea of dispensing a brick in the 21st century is absurd.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2015, 09:23 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Is there any point in putting the SD card in my mac and going into SleepyHead to get data? Does it even record AHI's and number of hours slept on the SD card?
The SD card does not record anything, the machine write compliance data on the SD card
SleepyHead is not going show anything, will show it all or show nothing as need all the data to begin with
ResScan going show usage time but nothing else as the machine does not record anything else and does not work with Mac either

Can you talk to the good doctor to have the loaner machine swapped, otherwise he has nothing to monitor and see how the therapy is working

How I feel is okay but in my opinion is not the best indicator ... because I felt better when first started CPAP, well anything feel better when have been sick for so long. The real feeling better started when I looked at the data and understood the problems and finding solutions

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. I had to answer pages of questions similar to the Epworth scale in a questionnaire for my sleep Doc. I also had to fill in 2 weeks worth of daily information with regards to how I felt in the morning, what my day had been like, how I felt, what time I got up, what time I went to bed, how long it took to fall asleep, meds taken, etc etc. before the sleep doc even scheduled me for a sleep lab test.

It probably is a good guide though to use a scale like that to log each days sleep so I can have something to show the doc when I go back in November.

I understand I will be able to get a ResMed AirSense 10 Elite when I buy my machine in November. So I have that to look forward to, but it would have been nice to have been able to show all the data (and hopefully the ensuing improvements) right from the beginning of my using CPAP.

I agree that it is absurd in this day and age that anyone walks out with a CPAP machine that only gives compliance information. I would think that it benefits everyone, patient, doctor, insurance company if applicable for the patient to plot all their data in a program and track it for self improvement health reasons.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cate1898,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, you can at least get the AirSense 10 Elite so you can watch your data.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks trish6hundred! I sure hope so too!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just checked the 'data' on this brick. Doesn't even tell me my AHI. Just hours machine used which apparently includes time spent lying reading before going to sleep. What a piece of S--T.
Post Reply Post Reply
Honestly, I think you should have just refused the machine and called the doctor back to change the prescription to a data capable machine. Were it not for that data information, I would have just given them back the machine and told them 'to hell with it.' WITH the information, I was able to improve on it some. I'm several months in now with CPAP and still tired all the time although its not the machine that is the problem, it is the RLS and bradycardia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take the machine back. Its providing no useful information to you or the doctor other than your own assessment of whether you feel any better. Its better than nothing because you want to treat your apneas but you are here to take charge of your own therapy. To do that effectively you need data. For your doctor to treat you better he\she needs data.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI stuck around 10 PercyA 3 192 02-28-2024, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 326 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
  Stuck SD card Old Steve 6 444 01-16-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 271 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001
  Stuck on REM simplified example no much talk sleepyzzz 4 632 07-31-2023, 03:28 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  [Treatment] Stuck in Timed Mode? jeffpack1957 13 878 03-07-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: jeffpack1957
  Why is my screen stuck in therapy mode? BobbieM 0 621 08-16-2022, 09:35 PM
Last Post: BobbieM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.