Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stuff up nose at night, old machine?
Stuff up nose at night, old machine?
I have used the same nasal mask fir about 4 yrs now.  Same resmed airsense 10 with humidity at the same setting.  Just recently I have been waking up throughout the night and early in the morning with 75-90% nasal blockage.  I am pretty sure the lack of airflow is waking me up.  Is it possible my 5yr old machine is dirty inside?  I clean the tank, tube, and mask, and change filter regularly, but there isn’t anything to clean for the actual machine, right?  I don’t have any problem throughout the day.  Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stuff up nose at night, old machine?
I have been having the same experience and in my case it is related to an early "bumper-crop" bloom of Ragweed. I have been using a Navage to flush the pollen out of my nasal passages with a homemade buffered saline solution before going to bed. 1/4tsp of baking soda and 1/4tsp of un-iodised salt in 8ozs of warm distilled water.
For me it works like a charm and I am sure any method of flushing the pollen and dust out of your nasal passages would help.
Post Reply Post Reply
No kidding?  I have never had a problem with allergies, but I’ll try that.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you don't want to brew the solution yourself, you can get NeilMed rinse at almost any pharmacy.

One other thought: you might try playing around with the humidity setting, just in case for some reason your needs have changed. Try it both lower and higher.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you know that you have been successful at keeping your equipment clean and relatively sterile/free from allergens and dangerous pathogens for some time, and suddenly you are experiencing an undesired effect, chances are it is something environmental or...you.  I think it's possible that it isn't an either/or matter.  As we age, it has been well understood for decades now that we acquire sensitivities and allergic responses to our environment.  It could be that, in addition to a somewhat unique and temporary environmental change (pollen and molds/mildew this late in the growing season where people have cucumbers, tomatoes, and various squash plants whose leaves are getting that silvery-white powder all over them), you are also changing and bringing your own contribution to the mix.

It's very unlikely, but it could be that you are even becoming sensitive to one or more of the materials around you when you sleep, including an aging pillow or the hose/mask themselves.  Probably not....but....who knows?
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a suggestion. Perhaps it's allergies?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 200 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,983 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 272 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 649 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.