Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stuffy nose in the middle of the night
Stuffy nose in the middle of the night
Lately I've been experiencing a stuffy nose when I wake up around 3AM. I can barely breathe through my nose and certainly not enough to sleep. Since I use a nasal mask, I'm pretty well done sleeping until I clear my nasal passages. I'm thinking this is one of the factors that causes me to awaken. Is there any product I can take at bedtime to keep this from happening? I picked up Allegra-D for a trial. I hope it helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stuffy nose in the middle of the night
(08-28-2016, 07:43 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: Is there any product I can take at bedtime to keep this from happening?
I haven't find one, but find saline sinus rinse gives some relief and enable me to go back to sleep
Full face mask is an option can helps but I cannot use one
Humidifier is another thing needs paying attention to, either up or down and note down what level works best for you
Post Reply Post Reply
This is why I went back to my Simplus FFM. You can ask your doctor to prescribe Flonase and/or try Reactine. I am pretty sure mine is allergies or some histamine reaction to environmental changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. From what I read, Sudafed or anything that contains pseudoephedrine is effective for most people.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a non prescription drug called Nasacort, which is a corticosteroid that has been released from prescription only and approved for daily use. Two sprays up each nostril daily at 10 pm and I'm good to go for nasal breathing for a full day. My ENT said I could use it at the prescribed dosage for as long as I needed to without harm.

The is another factor that affects nasal breathing and it's caused by fluid displacement when you lie down. It's especially apparent if you sleep on your side since it can cause the lower nostril to close off completely but at the same time slightly enhance the capability of the upper nostril. It also affects you if you sleep supine but to a less noticeable degree. I combat that by using nasal expansion devices such as the external adhesive strip type or the plastic insert internal ones when I inadvertently run out of the adhesive ones.

And finally I have raised the head of my bed 4 1/2 inches, which gives further relief from increased fluid pressure to my upper body. This also helps to reduce my AHI event count, presumably by reducing tissue edema in the throat and tongue area.

Previous to discovering these methods, I was a life long mouth breather and had no problem with that. When sleep apnea came to visit me, it became a major issue, what with all the extra air volume being dumped onto my face.

Any one of these methods mentioned may be all you need or you may be like me and need all of them. It's definitely a battle so use whatever you need to make it work.

BTW, Do not use Afrin or any nasal spray with that active ingredient in it (Oxymetazoline hydrocloride) since it can have terrible rebound effects if used more then 3 days, as warned on the label. I read that warning and ignored it... what followed was not a pleasant ordeal. Just don't use it except for an extreme emergency!

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Sudafed raises blood pressure which is a problem for some people.

Since it's used by meth cooks to make "speed," California requires pharmacies to keep it behind the counter; and they want to scan the mag strip on your driver's license.

Use it at your own risk; I wouldn't touch it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm, maybe it is not congestion? I don't have a nasal mask, but on my FFM (F10) if it slips a little bit down onto the top of my nose from the bridge and I have it adjusted tight - I can't breath - it closes my nose - sort of the opposite of those strips that hold your nose open. I can't breath though my nose until I move it slightly (1/8 inch or less) up toward the bridge of my nose and then I can breath with no trouble.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here Frank but that brought on the nose area leakage into my eyes and necessitated the use of the mask liner in that area. A solution often comes with another problem! You have to be obsessed enough to keep piling solutions on top of each other until you arrive at some ridiculous extreme that either works or you go bonkers and forget what the original problem was! Big Grin

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
xylitol spray Smile like xlear. (I make my own...) I would never be able to pap without it, and it doesnt have nasty side effects like steroids or antihistamines!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
This winter has been bad for my nose . Most mornings I get up with my right nostril blocked, right side sleeper. I've tried using my humidifier which I think has helped a bit. When my ClimateLineAir heated tube arrives I'll play with the humidifier settings .

My doctor gave me a prescription for Atrovent to try. When I went to get it I found out it is now an over the counter spray. I'll give it a try for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Sometimes I'll use a spray with Oxymetazoline hydrocloride for a night or two. It seems to keep the nose open but I'm careful not to use it too often.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 645 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.