Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stuffy nose in the middle of the night
RE: Stuffy nose in the middle of the night
Thanks a lot everyone. I think I'll try the Allegra-D first and pick up some xclear. A shifting mask doesn't contribute to my problem. I continue to be stuffed even after I remove it. After I walk around for a while, I can get rid of most of it by blowing my nose, and then when I wake up four hours later my nasal passages are clear. Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a wid version of my nasal mask to reduce pinching of my nostrils which led to clogging and waking up.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Allegra-D last night. It worked great; my sinuses were clear all night. Unfortunately I didn't sleep at all - wide awake with energy to burn. I finally got up at around 3 and watched TV and got maybe a one-hour nap in the recliner. Oddly, I had pretty good energy all day until late in the afternoon when I crashed on the sofa. Maybe it was due to the pseudophedrine.

Now I know how meth addicts can stay up for days at a time.

Lesson learned. I'll try a nasal rinse next.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2016, 07:15 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I tried the Allegra-D last night. It worked great; my sinuses were clear all night. Unfortunately I didn't sleep at all - wide awake with energy to burn. I finally got up at around 3 and watched TV and got maybe a one-hour nap in the recliner. Oddly, I had pretty good energy all day until late in the afternoon when I crashed on the sofa. Maybe it was due to the pseudophedrine.

Now I know how meth addicts can stay up for days at a time.

Lesson learned. I'll try a nasal rinse next.

Don't forget the Breathe Right Strips and maybe some Nasacort spray.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
My first suggestion would be a FFM. Being a life long mouth breather made this a no brainer. Many times I go to bed stuffed up, and within 20 minutes I'm breathing freely, I assume because the filters on the machine are blocking out allergens. I rarely if ever wake up congested. So if allergies are the problem, you could add an inline filter to your setup to enhance the existing fiters. Also, make sure your machine filters are fresh and not saturated with dirt/pollen/etc.

Even if you are primarily a nasal mask user, a full face mask backup can come in handy at times when you are stuffed up, whether it be from a cold or allergies or whatever, and meds aren't doing the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been experiencing nasal congestion and now eyes that constantly tearing. I have gone the usual route to alleviate the symptoms. The medications reduce the problem for a while, but they never go away leaving me with inflamed skin around my inner eyes.
Got tired of the dead ends and looked into research, again. I use Medscape for my primary searches.
Now I wonder what is the quality of forced air that is introduced into our respiratory system ??????. Micron filters do not filter out viruses or their sneaky relations, the viron. A virus can affect the body anywhere, some live in your DNA like herpes simplex (cancer sore) and are activated by emotional or biological stress, shingles is a good example (adult chicken pox). There is very little data in this area. Most MDOh-jeez responses to the symptomology point to allergies, but I am beginning to wonder if there is more to the equation.
I wonder if concentrating on improving the quality of forced air and/or improving the immune system may be another route to the problem.
Using harsh chemicals to clean he system is not appropriate for the cheap plastic parts.
Any thoughts??????????
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2016, 09:17 AM)calliopy2 Wrote: I wonder if concentrating on improving the quality of forced air and/or improving the immune system may be another route to the problem.
Using harsh chemicals to clean he system is not appropriate for the cheap plastic parts.
Any thoughts??????????

I have always used a couple of tablespoons of baby shampoo and a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar in a two gallon tub of warm water to clean my mask parts, hose, humidifier chamber. Let everything soak for an hour or so then wash and rinse. It's worked well for 8 years. No need for harsh chemicals plus way cheaper.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I get blocked nasal passages it's usually because I need more humidity. I use a saline spray and crank up my humidifier. this always works--unless I have a cold.

My machine's humidifier is stingier than my old one; I need to crank it up to full. It's not just me; others have mentioned it. And I'm in a relatively humid environment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Concerns about filtering the air seem misplaced to me. You are breathing the same air totally unfiltered when you are not on the machine. And the pressure is so slight, "forced air" seems a bit of an exaggeration. It is slightly pressurized but blowing up a balloon, along with other common activities, will introduce much higher pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sinus rinses are great anyway, we all need baths for our noses. I have the same issue and Flonase has been amazing for me. I recently had a procedure done on my foot that prevents me from using ANY steroids or anti-inflammatories for six months. As a result my nose is very angry and breathing through it is very tough, sadly my answer is surgery, which will long term help but short term, make it worse.

I will be following this to see if I can glean any more advice, but for now use either Xlear, or Netipot for rinses (the addition of Xylitol is great for the nose and cuts down on infections) and also keep a bottle of Xlear nasal spray next to your bed. You may find a quick spray in the middle of the night helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 200 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,983 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 649 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 465 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.