Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stupid Mask question for a "sidesleeper" with full face needed
Stupid Mask question for a "sidesleeper" with full face needed
Like my subject says: I'm a "side sleeper".
Because i'll start breathing through my mouth after 2-3 hours, i got a full face mask (the QuattroAir thingy).

The mask is great, as long as i lay on my back.

When i turn, the mask is trying to blow one of my eyeballs out (i may choose the eyeball by adjusting the mask). Extreme tightening of the upper straps will leave my eyes in the head, but leak in the mouth area (in a way that my cat will jump about 3ft high within 10milliseconds from "deep cat sleep" to "WHEEEEEEAAAAA!" due to the airblow).

Even if you don't care about me, think about the poor cat.

I know, there're masks around that cover the mouth, have the funny "i will fit in your nose and push some air into it"-thingys. And, because there're much more compact compared to the quattro-air monster, they're ok for side sleepers.

But i don't find them any more (googled around for the last three days).

Has any1 an idea or a good suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Mac
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stupid Mask question for a "sidesleeper" with full face needed
Yes Mac,

I too thought the only way I could sleep was with a full mask. But low and behold I learned that I could do very well indeed with a pillows mask and a chinstrap. I still keep my FFM around for those times when I really, really, really have a nose that won't work. But I never use it because no matter how stuffed up I am the little pillow guys are able to cram air down me anyway. So it's been a great experience.

But I did like my Quattro Air mask. It was kind of a back to the cave experience for me to wear it. You can adjust it so that you can sleep on your side, but it's tricky. The other thing you can do is use a chinstrap very gently applied on top of the mask to encourage the jaw to stay forward when you go into deep sleep.

......and I'm an expert on miserable cats. But that's a whole other story.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 12:15 PM)retired_guy Wrote: too thought the only way I could sleep was with a full mask. But lo and behold I learned that I could do very well indeed with a pillows mask and a chinstrap.

I second the idea of a chinstrap, although I found that the pillows leak too much at my pressures. I use the Wisp instead, and it works great.

You can experiment with a chinstrap just by using some elastic and a safety pin. Someone here recently posted that he used a sweatband, which is an idea that I never thought of. You can use Ace ™ bandage elastic, but it's way too wimpy and loses its flexibility very quickly. I use elastic designed for waistbands from a fabric store. Whatever you select, give the chin strap a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always sleep on one side. It helps my AHI too. I had problems with my eyeballs being extruded from the pressure too so I went to a FitLife mask. (total face coverage)

That fixed the issues and I am staying around 0.5 to 1.9 AHI.

You might want to look into that.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 04:21 PM)Shastzi Wrote: I always sleep on one side. It helps my AHI too. I had problems with my eyeballs being extruded from the pressure too so I went to a FitLife mask. (total face coverage)

That fixed the issues and I am staying around 0.5 to 1.9 AHI.

You might want to look into that.

Wink

The FitLife can be an alternative with the caveat "if it works for you". I know there are people who cannot stand a total face mask.

Myself, I sometimes deal with similar masks at work, so for me it was fish to water time. I find mine does well side sleeping (even tummy sleeping), but it does take a little practice (just like with any mask) to find out what works best with any sort of side pressure on the mask.

Cheapest option off the top, as you noted the QuattroAir worked well on your back, is to try some of the chin strap ideas or to try adjusting your pillows to give you less side pressure on the mask itself. One suggestion is to use two pillows 90* to each other to get more "overhang" for the mask to play with and not get bumped around.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am also a side sleeper, I use the ResMed Quattro™ FX. sometimes at night when I am laying on my side I wake up with a leak and I just move it around until it quits leaking. the best thing that help me is a cpap pillow that I got from amazon, it works awesome, I think I only paid 45.00 for it well worth the money
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 12:07 PM)Mac_Sheepcounter Wrote: I know, there're masks around that cover the mouth, have the funny "i will fit in your nose and push some air into it"-thingys. And, because there're much more compact compared to the quattro-air monster, they're ok for side sleepers.

But i don't find them any more (googled around for the last three days).

Look for "hybrid cpap mask".
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 12:07 PM)Mac_Sheepcounter Wrote: Like my subject says: I'm a "side sleeper".
Because i'll start breathing through my mouth after 2-3 hours, i got a full face mask (the QuattroAir thingy).

Mac,

Have you tried a nasal pillow? I find that if I open my mouth, I wake up from the air leak. This has only been a problem once or twice a night.

I started with a full face, and changed after I was able to improve my nasal congestion.

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

thanks for all the helpful replies.

I think, i should try a nasal pillow mask. The hybrid-thingys don't look like they will solve my problem.

I'm still puzzled, why a simple piece of plastic with some silicone is >$100 for a material value of about $10.
And it doesn't even look cool. I was thinking about some StarWars styled mask (because i have some connections to manufacturers for plastic things in the electronic business), but LucasFilm won't grant a license. Too bad Wink .

Ok, i'm going too look for a nasal thingy, spend another >$100 and will try to close my mouth with duct tape (just kidding).

Will report about my experiences, after i got it, promised.

Mac
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2014, 07:57 AM)Mac_Sheepcounter Wrote: Hi all,

thanks for all the helpful replies.

I think, i should try a nasal pillow mask. The hybrid-thingys don't look like they will solve my problem.

I'm still puzzled, why a simple piece of plastic with some silicone is >$100 for a material value of about $10.
And it doesn't even look cool. I was thinking about some StarWars styled mask (because i have some connections to manufacturers for plastic things in the electronic business), but LucasFilm won't grant a license. Too bad Wink .

Ok, i'm going too look for a nasal thingy, spend another >$100 and will try to close my mouth with duct tape (just kidding).

Will report about my experiences, after i got it, promised.

Mac

Oh yes! Masks are stamped out for less than $1 each. so after you figure all the other logistics in, the device SHOULD be about $3.
If something has the word 'medical' or 'aviation' in its name you can charge a LOT more for it!
Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 141 4 hours ago
Last Post: Yeliad
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 138 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 173 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 125 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 353 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 174 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 302 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.