Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stupid Mask question for a "sidesleeper" with full face needed
RE: Stupid Mask question for a "sidesleeper" with full face needed
(08-24-2014, 08:27 AM)Shastzi Wrote: Oh yes! Masks are stamped out for less than $1 each. so after you figure all the other logistics in, the device SHOULD be about $3.
If something has the word 'medical' or 'aviation' in its name you can charge a LOT more for it!
Smile

Sure, but usually if there's some kind of an open market, some1 will appear and come up with a product for a lower price.

And two close friends of mine sleep with masks, even here in my little german village there's a group of apnea people meeting regularily in the town hall... So i guess, the market for masks and stuff is not too small.

Otherwise i wouldn't have contacted the guys from LucasArts Wink (well, ok, i just wanted a really COOL looking mask).

It's no rocket science, and the production for medical devices is far below the regulations for electronic devices (dust free production and stuff). I'm still thinking about doing some business here. Making $30 out of $3 wouldn't be the worst business plan compared to paying >$100 and more...

Post Reply Post Reply
Find a DME that will let you try and return masks within 30 days. I can recommend one if you cannot find. Also I am going to bet the nasal mask will not work for you. You will probably mouth leak even with a chin strap. Just a hunch but it won't hurt to try if you get the right DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 04:21 PM)Shastzi Wrote: I always sleep on one side. It helps my AHI too. I had problems with my eyeballs being extruded from the pressure too so I went to a FitLife mask. (total face coverage)

That fixed the issues and I am staying around 0.5 to 1.9 AHI.

You might want to look into that.

As a mouth breather with deviated septum which restricts breathing though my nose, my two favorite masks are:
1. ResMed F10 full face mask with RemZzz mask liner.
2. ResMed Quattro FX full face mask with RemZzz mask liner.

I once bought the FitLife total face mask, XL size. The mask was barely big enough, and my bi-level machine tends to make to do push-ups on my face all night, which took some getting used to.

Made the extra large mistake, however, of getting the Extra Large headgear, which is very stretchy. Under pressure the headgear stretches ridiculously, absurdly, unbelievably huge. If you get the Extra Large mask, I suggest getting the Medium (certainly not the Extra Large, probably not the Large) headgear.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, problem solved!

I'm now a proud user / owner of a ResMed AirFit P10 and a chinstrap.

The funny thing is, my local ResMed shop had the AirFit on stock, but the chinstrap arrived a few days later.

So (because i really started to hate the QuattroFX), i tried the AirFit mask without the chinstrap...

What can i say? This thing definitely not just made my day (in this case "night"), it's great. I had no leakage, obviously i didn't even tried to breath through my mouth. Looks like kinda body-reflex (like "you can't sneeze with your eyes open"). You can't really breath through your mouth, if something blows air into your nose.

Fortunately, i'm in Germany. So i didn't have to pay for the nasal mask and the chinstrap (the ResMed guys told me "a second mask is free, only a third will be charged").

Anyhow: I don't have any leakages anymore, the AirFit thingy does a great "Blow Job" and i don't need the damn chinstrap (tried it for one night, won't do it again).

So far the feedback from a very happy Mac Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear Mac. Yes I would not even think about using anything other than my P10. I do have to use the chinstrap. Good for you that you don't, that would be very nice indeed. But if that changes, check back because not all chinstraps are created equal and there are some (one that I know of) that are not as uncomfortable as the others.

Now, about that cat......... What you can try is when it's really sleeping well next to you, open your mouth for a minute and let the wind tunnel noise lull it gently to the ceiling four paws firmly fixed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2014, 11:11 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Now, about that cat......... What you can try is when it's really sleeping well next to you, open your mouth for a minute and let the wind tunnel noise lull it gently to the ceiling four paws firmly fixed.

No way! Got that effect, when the freakin' full face thingy started leaking. Tried to move it on my face... lifted too much... cat got lot's of air power...

Well, imagine by yourself what will happen, if a deep sleeping cat turns from "deep sleep mode" to "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS" in a few milliseconds. Just one hint: IT HURTS!

Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I am cracking myself up picturing a tiny feline nasal mask.....
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with a full face and have now switched to a ResMED Liberty Hybred. Took a while to get teh right nose pillows but has cut my AHI in half.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some possibly useful info here on the AirFit F10...ResMed did them, so there's some promotional tone, but I picked up a couple of tips.

ResMed AirFit F10 Full Face CPAP Mask User tips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVRBTYVlrI0

ResMed AirFit F10 Full Face CPAP Mask Fitting Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgtWOXnrF2c

ResMed AirFit F10 Full Face CPAP Mask Cleaning & Assembly Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl-reh_JZTQ
Post Reply Post Reply
After a few more days playing around to find my optimal pressure, i noticed something interesting.
While using a nasal mask (the human, not the feline version Wink ), a single millibar may be the difference between "perfect sleep" and "too much pressure that will open your mouth".

I found my perfect maximum now at 10mbar. If set to 11 or 12, i will face the effect, that there's obviously too much pressure, and i wake up a lot of times at night with my mouth open.

So - speaking at least for me - it may be not an easy thing to receive a good result with a nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 152 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 144 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 176 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 134 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 358 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 178 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.