Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Subtle positive mood changes, just my imagination?
Subtle positive mood changes, just my imagination?
I was talking on another forum about OSA, some guy mentioned that he wasn't as depressed after he started CPAP therapy. I thought about it and have found the same. The effects were subtle, but I definitely seem less irritable and depressed since starting therapy. And the days that I somehow screw up my treatment seem immeasurably worse: sleepy, irritable, and depressed.

Am I imagining things? Placebo effect?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Subtle positive mood changes, just my imagination?
nope it's real. I also experience
nice to see you smile
I like you better happy
it's been a long time since I saw you like this
You have a great laugh

took me a while to notice it myself, but friends and family were much faster (I also have more interest in getting out and doing things)
Post Reply Post Reply
Disturbed sleep can really mess with the neurotransmitters.

That's why sleep deprivation is and has been used for centuries as a method of torture and "enhanced interrogation."

PAP therapy removes much of the disturbance and brings balance back to the neurotransmitters and their receptors.
So, improved mood is a very real effect of treating sleep disordered breathing.

So, smile Smile laugh Too-funny and enjoy life.Banana
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2015, 02:17 PM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: I was talking on another forum about OSA, some guy mentioned that he wasn't as depressed after he started CPAP therapy. I thought about it and have found the same. The effects were subtle, but I definitely seem less irritable and depressed since starting therapy. And the days that I somehow screw up my treatment seem immeasurably worse: sleepy, irritable, and depressed.

Am I imagining things? Placebo effect?

Nope - very common effect, and perhaps one of the greatest benefits of this therapy. My wife in particular says I'm in a much better mood and more patient with her and our daughter. I still think I lack in patience, so I must have really been a nightmare before!

Glad to hear things are going well - helps to keep you motivated when you see the benefits! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Being rested or not rested makes a WORLD if difference for me.
I'm literally like two different people, that's why I'm trying so hard at this.

When we are tired all our symptoms crop up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Weird Tolkienish Figure,

It’s great to hear that you are noticing improvements with your CPAP therapy.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
After 12 nights on CPAP - I feel my spirits have been very much lifted - I didnt realise that I was feeling a bit depressed and anxious about my situation and my ever elevating Blood Pressure readings until my blood pressure has plummeted to normal levels. I was so so happy and relieved at the instant results that I have been experiencing. Dancing

Today, I am feeling dizzy when I get up from sitting and lying down - which I am very careful about now until I see my family doctor about perhaps decreasing my BP meds.

It was told today by my Sleep Clinician that Apnea can cause depression (not chemical depression but sleep deprivation depression).

I feel that I am back to my normal happy self with only the odd blue day here and then when an upset has occurred Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to watch out for is the purely mental/psychological/habitual/behavioural hangover effects of apnea.

There are definite physical/chemical effects of apnea. A lot of us give up on many things when we're beaten down by apena.

Once you adequately treat the apnea, your body may heal, but you can still be "stuck in the rut" of your life under the influence of apnea. You may have to "wake up" and realize that you are more able to do things and don't need to have such a bad attitude. You may need to cultivate new activities. You may need to force yourself to get up out of the recliner now that you physically have the energy to do so.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely NOT placebo effect.

I cannot tell you how much of an effect CPAP therapy has on my attitude and general well being.

I'm very consistent with my CPAP usage, but last week I went 2 straight days without it (I went out of town and forgot it at home Oh-jeez).

After those two days, I was noticeably more grumpy, less motivated, and felt downtrodden. That had me sold. CPAP definitely makes me more chipper.

Sometimes you forget how good your CPAP is really making you feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
My biggest problem after starting CPAP is trying to fill the day with fun activities, since I no longer need several naps. It's a tough dilemma, but I'm working on it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 244 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Health] AHI Increased - Covid Positive amfar33 2 411 12-27-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Treatment] Clear airway events or false positive? knobwasher 3 674 06-21-2023, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  False positive for sleep apnea/UARS? Bluebuffalo 8 1,157 05-11-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  How long to feel positive effects of CPAP parkdj808 12 1,207 03-26-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: parkdj808
  False Positive on CA while Awake slam7241 15 2,383 06-22-2022, 10:19 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  [CPAP] Is it normal to hear a subtle whistle when the machine is working? juanjo 24 7,738 05-27-2020, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.