Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Success with Smart Card Rdr & Win 8.1
Success with Smart Card Rdr & Win 8.1
Thought I'd share what I've learned. This machine (REMstar auto with CFLEX) is a number of years old and uses Smartcards and thus is not compatible with Sleepyhead. I had heard that there were a number of issues with getting data off this machine, notably trouble with Windows 8.x and concerns that it might be hard to find drivers for this hardware. Moreover, I couldn't find a source for the data that this machine captured. For all I knew it only captured usage information.

1. Downloaded Encore basic through this board

2. Purchased a used INFINEER card reader off Ebay. Decided to stick with this brand as I had heard of compatibility issues with other card readers.

It all worked. No drivers needed and the older Remstar had good data capture. After 10 days of use (still getting used to it) Encore reported an AHI index of 5.1 last night (although I have been using it longer I only have data for one night as I couldn't initialize the card until I had the reader). Still trying to decipher all the data reported but am pleased that it worked as well as it did.

Data Detail:

NR 0.0
FL 0.6
OA 2.5
H 2.6
VS 9.5
AHI 5.1

Other values included an average leak of 21.0 (is that good or bad?) with 0 minutes of Large Leak.

90% pressure 10

If it helps anyone I can post a summary of the data types that it captures.

All in all I feel I have made good progress, but I still have more to understand

By way of background, I was diagnosed with Apnea a number of years ago. Issued an APAP machine (Remstar Auto with CFLEX). Had great difficulty in adjusting to it. That (and vanity) led me to discontinue its use. A stroke this summer was the wake up call I needed to get with the program. Initially I was partially paralyzed on my right side with great difficulty stringing two sentences together. I made a quick and strong recovery, so quick that after three days I was discharged to home with outpatient rehab, as opposed to a rehab hospital.

As I said, this was a wake up call and I feel lucky to have made a full (ok, 99%) recovery. I'm 6'1", 195 pounds (would like to lose 10 pounds but I doubt that will make any difference with my Apnea), 60 years old.

Can anyone recommend further reading to increase my understanding of the data?

Carlos
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Success with Smart Card Rdr & Win 8.1
(11-10-2014, 09:15 AM)Cbonilla Wrote: Other values included an average leak of 21.0 (is that good or bad?) with 0 minutes of Large Leak.

90% pressure 10

Hi Cbonilla

Your average leak is excellent, Respironcis machines report total leak which includes the intentional mask vents leak rate through the holes and mask/mouth leak. "0 minutes of Large Leak" means the machine did not detect large leak that can compromise the treatment

50% of AHI are obstructive events and the other 50% are hypopnea, AHI around 5 and below considered normal score

90% pressure 10 means pressure was at or below 10 for 90% of the time
Whats the minimum and maximum pressure settings?

Here how to post attachment http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments

Congrats
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk. I realize that I have a way to go before I'm fully with the program (still not really comfortable with having something on my face when I sleep) but its slowly getting better.

Here is a screen grab of my first data capture

[attachment=1090]

I initially started wtih the machine at default values (4 min, 20 max). Very uncomfortable at a min value of 4 and per the threads on this board bumped it to 6 and lowered the max to 16.

Carlos
Post Reply Post Reply
One more question. The Encore software gives the option of reporting Unintentional or Total Leak. Which is a more useful metric?

Carlos
Post Reply Post Reply
Those couple of bumps in leak graph might be some mouth leaks, chinstrap can helps

The maximum pressure 16 does not matter much as the pressure does not go higher than 10. I would increase the minimum closer or at the average pressure, whatever feel comfortable for you. Or even set the machine on fixed pressure, at 9 or 10 and see how it works out, pressure graph shows pressure between 9-10 for most of the night. Some people suggest to increase pressure at small increments at a time and do not do too many changes too quickly

Total leak = intentional leak (good leak, mask vents holes leak rate) + unintentional leak (mask leak plus mouth leak)

ResMed machines does the calculation, subtract intentional leak from total leak and report unintentional leak

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2014, 09:15 AM)Cbonilla Wrote: Thought I'd share what I've learned. This machine (REMstar auto with CFLEX) is a number of years old and uses Smartcards and thus is not compatible with Sleepyhead. I had heard that there were a number of issues with getting data off this machine, notably trouble with Windows 8.x and concerns that it might be hard to find drivers for this hardware. Moreover, I couldn't find a source for the data that this machine captured. For all I knew it only captured usage information.

2. Purchased a used INFINEER card reader off Ebay. Decided to stick with this brand as I had heard of compatibility issues with other card readers.

It all worked. No drivers needed and the older Remstar had good data capture. After 10 days of use (still getting used to it) Encore reported an AHI index of 5.1 last night (although I have been using it longer I only have data for one night as I couldn't initialize the card until I had the reader). Still trying to decipher all the data reported but am pleased that it worked as well as it did.

Data Detail:

NR 0.0
FL 0.6
OA 2.5
H 2.6
VS 9.5
AHI 5.1

Other values included an average leak of 21.0 (is that good or bad?) with 0 minutes of Large Leak.

90% pressure 10

All in all I feel I have made good progress, but I still have more to understand

By way of background, I was diagnosed with Apnea a number of years ago. Issued an APAP machine (Remstar Auto with CFLEX). Had great difficulty in adjusting to it. That (and vanity) led me to discontinue its use. A stroke this summer was the wake up call I needed to get with the program. Initially I was partially paralyzed on my right side with great difficulty stringing two sentences together. I made a quick and strong recovery, so quick that after three days I was discharged to home with outpatient rehab, as opposed to a rehab hospital.

As I said, this was a wake up call and I feel lucky to have made a full (ok, 99%) recovery. I'm 6'1", 195 pounds (would like to lose 10 pounds but I doubt that will make any difference with my Apnea), 60 years old.

Carlos

(11-10-2014, 09:15 AM)Cbonilla Wrote: Thought I'd share what I've learned. This machine (REMstar auto with CFLEX) is a number of years old and uses Smartcards and thus is not compatible with Sleepyhead. I had heard that there were a number of issues with getting data off this machine, notably trouble with Windows 8.x and concerns that it might be hard to find drivers for this hardware. Moreover, I couldn't find a source for the data that this machine captured. For all I knew it only captured usage information.

Data Detail:

NR 0.0
FL 0.6
OA 2.5
H 2.6
VS 9.5
AHI 5.1

90% pressure 10

Carlos

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like good advice. I think, though, that I will acquire a few more data points (couple of weeks worth) and move on from there.

This board does a great service in helping us learn to manage our conditions in an ongoing manner

Thanks again

Carlos
Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
Hi! I am a new CPAP user...just a few weeks now. LOVE THIS FORUM! I have already learned so much! I am wanting to download software so that I can read more details of my CPAP daily #s.....but, I am getting SOOOO frustrated! I have tried to down load sleepyhead, Respironics, encore and a few more and can not get it to work! I have a card reader in my computer so I shouldn't need that, I have a Windows 8.1 PC.....someone please help me......Help
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, Jodi

Can you please identify your machine
[Image: which-remstar.jpg]

SleepyHead only support both PR system one machines and works with windows and Mac computers
The link is at the top of the page

It might helps if you post your question in this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Discussion

The first few posts contain valuable information by RobySue
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jodi,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,623 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,981 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,478 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 16,465 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 548 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.