Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Successful apnea surgery now failing 1.5 years later
Successful apnea surgery now failing 1.5 years later
I am 40 yo and had severe sleep apnea at a normal weight and was told it was due to physiological features in my throat. I had surgery in August of 2014 to remove tonsils, adenoids, fix a deviated septum and had a UPPP.

Redid the sleep study and only had mild apnea still when sleeping on my back and my horrible snoring (according to my wife) was gone.

In the last couple months, the snoring has returned to pre surgery intensity. No weight gain. I wouldn't think time of year, since I went through a winter already last year with no issues. I have tried allergy medicine, nasal spray and a humidifier, to no avail.

I made an appt with the ent that did the surgery but can't get in for over a month. My poor wife!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Successful apnea surgery now failing 1.5 years later
I'm sorry to hear that this surgery hasn't worked for you, but it's important you get seen by your doc. It's possible you will have to have another sleep study done.

In the meantime, sleeping on your side may help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right now the snoring happens in all positions, back, side, stomach. It's just so weird that it worked for a year and a half!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2015, 09:58 AM)Mrkngpen Wrote: I am 40 yo and had severe sleep apnea at a normal weight and was told it was due to physiological features in my throat. I had surgery in August of 2014 to remove tonsils, adenoids, fix a deviated septum and had a UPPP.

Redid the sleep study and only had mild apnea still when sleeping on my back and my horrible snoring (according to my wife) was gone.

In the last couple months, the snoring has returned to pre surgery intensity. No weight gain. I wouldn't think time of year, since I went through a winter already last year with no issues. I have tried allergy medicine, nasal spray and a humidifier, to no avail.

My pulmonologist said that it's pretty common to go through all that and then have it stop working. I also have a friend who had the same experience.

I'd go see a doctor, but a different one. You apparently found one who likes to cut, and if you go back, he'll find something else to cut.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2015, 10:24 AM)Terry Wrote:
(12-23-2015, 09:58 AM)Mrkngpen Wrote: I am 40 yo and had severe sleep apnea at a normal weight and was told it was due to physiological features in my throat. I had surgery in August of 2014 to remove tonsils, adenoids, fix a deviated septum and had a UPPP.

My pulmonologist said that it's pretty common to go through all that and then have it stop working. I also have a friend who had the same experience.

I'd go see a doctor, but a different one. You apparently found one who likes to cut, and if you go back, he'll find something else to cut.

I have heard the same, that the surgery has a low rate of success five years out, lucky I had a doctor who wasn't surgery happy. I was also told it raised the pitch of your voice. I"m glad I went with CPAP, personally.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2015, 10:38 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote:
(12-23-2015, 10:24 AM)Terry Wrote:
(12-23-2015, 09:58 AM)Mrkngpen Wrote: In the last couple months, the snoring has returned to pre surgery intensity.

I have heard the same, that the surgery has a low rate of success five years out, lucky I had a doctor who wasn't surgery happy. I was also told it raised the pitch of your voice. I"m glad I went with CPAP, personally.
I heard the same from my Sleep Dr. as well - surgery may work, but usually not for very long.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had the same surgery in 1998. Long recovery time. Lasted about 5 years before apnea came back. Should have gone with cpap instead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mrkngpen,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I’m sorry to hear that the surgery didn’t work out for you but, unfortunately this is pretty common.
I would see another doc and hopefully this time around, after another sleep study, you can get a CPAP machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doc doesn't believe in the surgery either as he feels that the results don't last long enough. We discussed the fact that I still have my tonsils and adenoids and he couldn't see a reason to do anything with them, especially seeing as CPAP is working.

Great to have a doctor that doesn't like to cut.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
For those considering UPPP surgery, you might want to read through this thread, which is copied from our old forum:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-denies-me

Of interest are the posts made by one of our past forum Moderators, ConnCarl and his experiences with UPPP.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 46 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.