Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Successful month, now going downhill
Successful month, now going downhill
I started using CPAP in early March, and although there were the usual adjustment issues, I was getting much better sleep, and my AHI numbers were running around 3-4 every night. Now, for the last week or so, my AHI rate has been going higher, in the 4-5 range, and last night it was 8+. I can also tell from how I feel during the day that my sleep hasn't been as good. I haven't changed equipment or done anything different, so I don't know why I'm getting worse.

Any ideas? I'm getting discouraged!
Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Successful month, now going downhill
Hi kderecan

Have you looked at the leaks data in SleepyHead. Maybe your mask needs replacement or readjustment.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2014, 02:26 PM)kderevan Wrote: I started using CPAP in early March, and although there were the usual adjustment issues, I was getting much better sleep, and my AHI numbers were running around 3-4 every night. Now, for the last week or so, my AHI rate has been going higher, in the 4-5 range, and last night it was 8+. I can also tell from how I feel during the day that my sleep hasn't been as good. I haven't changed equipment or done anything different, so I don't know why I'm getting worse.

Any ideas? I'm getting discouraged!

I will start by saying that I am not an expert, but are you sleeping differently from before, on your back? If so, your apnea will be worse from what I understand. If I sleep on my back my AHI is through the roof, and if I sleep on my side, it's like super low. Also you must download the software and look at your numbers, it really is enlightening, Others will come along and help you more, but I wanted to throw that out to you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kderevan,
Have you changed to a new set of pillows? They do wear over time, so if you haven't you might try that and see if that helps you. Hang in there for more suggestions and don't give up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum and may you sleep well!

What does your leak data look like?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that, with my oily skin, I had to use baby wipes and wipe the pillows every night. The oil from my skin would cause a poor fit and therefore leaks.
Don't know if this helps your problem or not.
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2014, 04:00 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi kderevan,
Have you changed to a new set of pillows? They do wear over time, so if you haven't you might try that and see if that helps you. Hang in there for more suggestions and don give up.

Trish, as a matter of interest how long do the pillows generally last for please?
Are we talking one month, three or six?

Kderevan, I was thinking maybe you need new pillows or as most other commenters have said, maybe your leaks are up for whatever reason.
It would be good if you could check on the leaks.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all! According to my Sleepyhead software, my leaks aren't bad at all:

Med 1.20
95% 6.00
Max 8.40

I changed to new pillows just over a week ago, I think. I was trying different sizes, and went back to the medium size, but a new set.

I don't really know if I'm sleeping on my back. I think I'm mostly on my side, but I toss and turn a lot, so I may spend time on my back. The tossing and turning is not new, I have always done that.
Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. Leak rates look good. But the AHI doesn't. I'm thinking you need to adjust your pressure settings, and maybe make sure you aren't sleeping on your back if you can. Can you call your sleep doc, or DME and discuss this with them? I wish you had an autoset machine so you could vary the high/low pressure a bit to find out where you need to be. In the meantime, for right now, I'd make it a real point to not stress out about it because that would make it worse, and figure out how to keep off your back. Do you have a comfy chair (recliner) you could use for one night until you talk to the docs? That might help too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
Again, thank you all!

After reading retired_guy's advice, I cranked up the head of my bed last night (it's one of those "old-people" Tempurpedic adjustable things) and my AHI was 1.53, and I slept 9 hours! I woke up a couple of times with the nasal pillows dislodged and blowing all over my face--that doesn't happen often--and according to the stats, each time lasted about 30 minutes, and then after waking and readjusting, I went right back to sleep.

My question now is this: Is it really supposed to be this hard? I may not be understanding the process, but it seems like the sleep clinic issued me this equipment and then I'm on my own to figure the rest of it out.

I am grateful for this support group, for sure, but it leaves me to wonder, are we really supposed to have to figure this all out on our own, or should I be on the phone with the sleep clinic doctors? They said that after a month or so they would request that I send in my data card for them to check on, but it seemed like the main reason for that was so that the insurance company could make sure I was being compliant. (Oh, and they haven't requested it yet) Do the doctors there actually check on how I'm doing by reading the card data? I look over my stats (via Sleepyhead) and I have 48 days of perfect compliance, but the AHI stats are all over the place, from 1.something to 9.something. I did switch early on from the Swift FX mask to the Airfit P10, but other than that (well, and tried the different size nose pillows due to something I read here) I have been complying the best I can and not switching things up.

I guess I thought that once I had the diagnosis and the equipment, that the rest was going to be smoooooth sailing--boy, was I wrong! I do have to say that overall I can tell a difference, even though I seem to be up and down with individual nights. If I force myself to remember, before I started on CPAP, I would wake up with the first thought of the day being "I'm so tired" and it seemed like my entire life was about trying to catch a little bit of sleep. I would say I was defeated and nearly desperate. Now I can wake up feeling that I wish I might have slept better, but I don't feel like a walking zombie all of the time. On the other hand, I don't yet feel like I wake up thinking, "Yes! Rested and ready to tackle the day!"

Am I just being too impatient? Should I keep on as I have done, realizing I'm still early in the game, or should I be pushing the sleep clinic docs to tinker with my settings? Or should I tinker with my own settings?
Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 154 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,042 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 606 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.