Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden AHI jump
Sudden AHI jump
For the past year, I've been using an Airsense 11 with AirFit P30i with large nasal pillows, 5-7 pressure range and have consistently had AHI of 2 or less, with a few outliers every few months.  Last week I had cataract surgery, so I chose to stop using the CPAP for a few days.  I restarted with a new pillow, and freshly cleaned components, and the first night the AHI had jumped to over 10.  The next night, I increased the pressure range to 5-8, and the AHI decreased to about 8, but the amount of leakage increased substantially.  The third night, I reset the range to 5-7, and checked the progress in the middle of the night, and it was again tracking to over 10.  So, I swapped out the hose, mask, and nasal pillow, and the rest of the night there were only a few events, about an AHI of less than 2.  In the morning, I checked the replaced components for defects and found none.  No holes or breaks in any seals, and from what I can tell, they were all in good shape.  Obviously, one of the components (hose, mask, or pillow) was causing the problem, but they all looked fine.  Any ideas what could cause a rise in AHI, other than a very large leak (which doesn't appear to be the case?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden AHI jump
Post a chart. The most likely thing is you have clusters of obstructive apnea and this issue is positional. Just a guess without the chart.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2023, 07:51 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Post a chart. The most likely thing is you have clusters of obstructive apnea and this issue is positional. Just a guess without the chart.

Thanks for the response, but it is not positional.  Event increases were across the board throughout the night for three nights.  I've been on CPAP long enough to know my body's response to sleep position, and this is not the answer.  The fact that equipment change (hose, mask, pillows) resolved the problem is a good indication that it was an equipment issue, and not my body position during sleep, which is consistent for me from night to night.  What I am trying to discover is what sort of equipment issue could cause an increase in AHI. The only "new" piece of equipment prior to the AHI increase was a brand new pillow.  The hose and mask have been used for months, and are cleaned regularly. I guessed that maybe one of the components had developed a leak that was preventing a therapeutic pressure from getting to my nostrils, but I tested for leaks and found none.  Perhaps the side tubes of the P30i mask are weakened and not allowing air to pass from the hose on top of my head?  I don't know.  Just asking whether anyone has seen this sort of equipment-related issue before.
Post Reply Post Reply
Posting a before and after OSCAR chart would help SleepRider and others review things and offer better advice.

Short of that, any number of things can affect AHI. It could have simply been time to replace the pillows or headgear. Or simply the fact that you went a few days without CPAP your body needed to get used to things again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Sudden increase in central apneas eyeloveeyez 1 72 04-25-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Symptoms] Worried about sudden spike in CA events rohit261990 8 266 04-22-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: rohit261990
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 157 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 171 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 425 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 399 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 316 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.