Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden Bursts of Pressure
Sudden Bursts of Pressure
I have an AirCurve 10 and have it set to ASV-Auto, Nasal Pillows. EPAP settings are min 4, max 6 and Pressure Settings are min 2, and max 10 (probably a bit wide). I am experimenting with settings so I can sleep longer. So I am taking a little 30 minutes nap and I kept getting awakened by sudden bursts of pressure that exceeded my ability to take it in. There were no registered apneas and epap pressure ave was 4.6 and pressure average was 9.6. What might be causing the bursts of air in my nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden Bursts of Pressure
Welcome to the forum. You can download a free software #Sleepyhead, that will let you visualize the pressure changes your machine that your are describing. Your ASV is using EPAP min 4, EPAP max 6 and pressure support from 2-10. When you feel larger pulses of pressure, it is probably your machine detecting under-ventilation or central apnea and increasing pressure to cause a breath. This is normally not a problem when you're asleep, but if you are awake, you will notice it. There are things you can do to reset the pace of your ASV, like forcefully blowing against the pressure. Is your machine set to AutoASV mode?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is set to auto. Maybe because it was a nap, I wasn't sleeping too deeply, and the burst wakened me, but I was asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2017, 04:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: This is normally not a problem when you're asleep, but if you are awake, you will notice it.   There are things you can do to reset the pace of your ASV, like forcefully blowing against the pressure.  Is your machine set to AutoASV mode?

As an infamous ASV machine user, mark this as confirmed in that the action does work. I have "trained" my blower by doing this exactly. It doesn't typically take a big blowback FWIW. And agreed on the nap vs actual sleep status, ASV sometimes picks up my pauses while adjusting body positional changes while transitioning to sleep.

Dave
Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Brallier,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy and also with getting it dialed in to better meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 327 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 363 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 287 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,209 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,628 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Treatment] Sudden raised AHI Papageno 10 644 12-07-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Papageno
  [CPAP] Need some help if possible - sudden change in response from 4hrs to 1.5hrs usage OverflowingJoyEntity 6 485 11-28-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: OverflowingJoyEntity

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.