Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden Central Apneas?? whats going on.
Sudden Central Apneas?? whats going on.
After months of experimenting with my APAP and wearing collar, I finally got my RDI down to less than 1.0.  This has been very consistent ranging from 0.5 - 1.0 for a couple months now.  Then last night, my RDI tripled for no apparent reason.  But what bothered me the most is that it recorded about 15 total Central Apneas.  In the past I have not had more than a couple of them and most of the time I have none.  What could cause a sudden spike in Centrals and is there anything I can do about it?  Please advise.

APAP max pressure 8.0
Events:
Centrals: 14
Obstructive: 1
Hypopnea: 8
RERA 2

**Note:  Before anyone gives me flack about these numbers not being very high compared to many of you, they are very high to my relative norm of about 4-5 total events per night.  

Again thanks for any input!

fitmart
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden Central Apneas?? whats going on.
My immediate thought is to wait and see what happens tonight. As you said the actual numbers are low so it could just be an occasional glitch. If it repeats or becomes a pattern then further investigation could be considered. (Not flack, just an observation that this does sometimes happen).

Other possibilities (guesses really) -

- they might be drug-induced. Have you started taking any new medications, especially painkillers?
- have you had any trauma?
- they might just be false positives, which are known to happen, especially if you're moving around a lot in your sleep. Post a #SleepyHead daily chart zoomed in on some of these centrals so we can see the waveforms.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it doesn't clear up after another night and none of the above apply try dropping your pressure 1cm for a night and see if that improves it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Think about anything that may have change (pillow, health, exercise, medication, etc.). If nothing then I agree you should maintain settings until you establish this is a new pattern. CA events can be simple sleep disturbance, so the distribution and length of the event as well as other details count. Going forward, it would help to know your EPR setting. Take a closer look at the event durations and if most are 10-15 seconds, I really encourage you not to be too concerned.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2018, 07:02 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: My immediate thought is to wait and see what happens tonight. As you said the actual numbers are low so it could just be an occasional glitch. If it repeats or becomes a pattern then further investigation could be considered. (Not flack, just an observation that this does sometimes happen).

Other possibilities (guesses really) -

- they might be drug-induced. Have you started taking any new medications, especially painkillers?
- have you had any trauma?
- they might just be false positives, which are known to happen, especially if you're moving around a lot in your sleep. Post a [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] daily chart zoomed in on some of these centrals so we can see the waveforms.

I have copied the report to a word document (see attachment).  I hope it is blown up enough.  Thanks for any advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
The flow charts can be saved as a screenshot, so I don't know why you put it in a document. These are relatively short-duration and not in a number that should be a big concern. We can try to help you to minimize, but I suspect this is a sleep disturbance and will pass. Don't worry about what will happen tonight. That mental trap will drive you nuts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,525 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.