Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden HR drop from 60's to 40's, then normal rest of the night.
Sudden HR drop from 60's to 40's, then normal rest of the night.
What can cause HR to drop suddenly from stable 50-60bpm down to 44bpm or lower? 

I have my Contec SpO2 sensor recording and sync'd with sleepyhead, there wasn't any OA's or CA's around that time. I had the alarm set to 48bpm, and it woke me up, showed 44bpm, and then I felt some palpitations and HR spiked up to 90's, then settled back down to 50-60's for the rest of the night. This has occurred on rare occasions in the past, where my HR suddenly goes into the low 40's.

I had heart block in the past on some beta blockers, and now I'm on Multaq and Bystolic for AFIB control. My doctor has not been concerned about heart block, since it was only secondary heart block last year. Could this be caused by temporary heart block? 

[Image: 4SuuUym.jpg]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden HR drop from 60's to 40's, then normal rest of the night.
A fair number of medications mess with HR, I’ve been having similar problems the past year...

I’d speak to your pharmicist or doctor.

Some of the medications I’m aware of include...

Aricept (Donepezil)
Cimetedine
Trazodone

I’m guessing there are a fair number. The medical condition is refered to as bradycardia.

Also conceivable that breathing issues might indirectly trigger something like this, based on low O2.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I suspect it could be Multaq causing the issue since it's a rhythm drug. I'm on such a lose dose of Bystolic 2.5mg that I don't think it would be the cause.

Also I had this Burning Sensation or tiredness feeling across the left side of my chest and I woke up in middle of the night. I'm not sure what to make of it but I've had it happen in the past numerous times.

I'm thinking maybe I have UARS which is causing me to make more effort to breathe at night. And this with the increased pressure from my machine is causing the burning sensation or tiredness feeling in my chest.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
i have HR into 40's when i sleep. When i was at a Clinic, there was a guy whos HR would drop from 60's to 40-30 . He had a faulty Sinus node that would stop pacing the heart and when that happened the ventricular node took over hence HR at 30 or lower. He had the sinus node ablated and got a pacemaker.

Anyway have you ever been diagnosed with dysautonomia?

Burning feeling at the left side? Thats stomach acid.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2018, 01:17 AM)crowtor Wrote: i have HR into 40's when i sleep. When i was at a Clinic, there was a guy whos HR would drop from 60's to 40-30 . He had a faulty Sinus node that would stop pacing the heart and when that happened the ventricular node took over hence HR at 30 or lower. He had the sinus node ablated and got a pacemaker.

Anyway have you ever been diagnosed with dysautonomia?

Burning feeling at the left side? Thats stomach acid.

Yes went to a Dysautonomia doctor in Houston  Those few tests he ran came back normal. 

I thought maybe the burning/overworked feeling in my chest could be due to having to work harder to breathe at night due to UARS. I had put my machine to IPAP Max 18 and it shot up there and stayed there fluctuating. 

Maybe I don't understand UARS  It supposedly is treated same way as sleep apnea and is a precursor to sleep apnea. So if I'm treated with BIPAP I shouldn't have UARS ?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 416 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 330 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 253 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 365 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 287 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,214 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.