Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden Increase in Centrals
Sudden Increase in Centrals
I used to get <.5 total events almost every night. Many nights with 0 events. Almost 90% of these few events were central apneas.
Now all of a sudden, I'm noticing a steady increase in central events as reported by OSCAR. Today, for example, it was 2.7 events for the 7.5 hours I slept. 

Now I realize that less than 5 events per hour is considered treated, but the sudden and steady increase has me worried. Especially since they are almost all centrals.

The only change that has happened is that I switched from the ResMed N20 to the ResMed P30i. The uptick in events corresponded almost exactly to the mask change. I've used the P10 a while ago and although it irritated my nose, the events were still in the .2 to .5 range. 

Unless someone can suggest any other causes for this increase, I'll probably go back and try the N20 again and see if that corrects things. Note that I do have COPD and it's possible this has gotten a little worse and might affect things, but I've had COPD for many years and it's being properly treated.

Anybody have any insight on this? I can post OSCAR data if that would be helpful.
Thanks.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden Increase in Centrals
Have you noticed any change in median or 95% pressure with the mask change? Is there a relationship of events to pressure? What kind of events? A couple of charts might be helpful here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=22126 Wrote:Sleeprider pid='346715' dateline='1587394832']Have you noticed any change in median or 95% pressure with the mask change? Is there a relationship of events to pressure?  What kind of events?  A couple of charts might be helpful here.

Here's a couple of current charts and a couple before mask change.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
We see attachment code upsman, but no actual charts. My guess it was an improper attachment link to a prior used attachment or the code got accidentally partially erased. I'd say best to try again.
They got fixed while I was posting...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2020, 10:39 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: We see attachment code upsman, but no actual charts. My guess it was an improper attachment link to a prior used attachment or the code got accidentally partially erased. I'd say best to try again.

Hmmm, thanks Dave. 
Musta did something wrong. Lemme figure out and try again.  Thinking-about

So I musta did it correctly? Fancy that.  Rolleyes

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it is anything to be concerned with, and time will tell if the higher AHI persists. On the 19th some CA events are clustered into a couple brief episodes, but the therapy generally resembles the better results on the 16 and 18th. The biggest change I see is a higher respiration rate and lower tidal volume. Do you feel any sense of air restriction with the new mask?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2020, 11:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  The biggest change I see is a higher respiration rate and lower tidal volume. Do you feel any sense of air restriction with the new mask?

Thanks Sleeprider. Yes, I noticed the clustering of events last night and wondered about that.
I'm not noticing any sense of air restriction since using the new mask, but I'll pay closer attention to see if this is an issue. 

What really stuck out to me when I saw the events from last night was that a couple of the centrals were quite long....33 seconds, 21 seconds and so forth. That seemed very unusual to me.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Post Reply Post Reply
Something to consider: I'm obviously not certain about this, but on chart 1 above, a few CA events took place about 02:20, which is about 2 hours 20 minutes into sleeping/therapy. This is possibly when your body decided you needed a position change. If so, you could have held your breath for 30 sec. or so while moving around. Duplicate that a few times during the sleep session and there's your "CA" events. Not that I'm saying it did in fact happen, but it is possible. I'd look over data a few nights and see if there's a pattern to recognize.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2020, 11:37 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: This is possibly when your body decided you needed a position change. If so, you could have held your breath for 30 sec. or so while moving around. 

Thanks Dave. Yes, when I zoomed in on that cluster of events, it could very well have been a result of changing positions. My wife claims I've been more restless than normal. I don't know if this is a result of worrying about the current state of affairs, or if I'm just getting old and crotchety.  Huh  Probably the latter. 

I'll definitely watch to see if this is a trend. Thanks for your input.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. If it were myself, I'd just keep an eye on it for several days. If it stays the same and if it's not hindering sleep, I 'd let it go. However, if it's interfering with sleep or CA issue gets worse, then it's time to consider doing something.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 381 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,788 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 232 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 330 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,263 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.