Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden Pressure Increase?
Sudden Pressure Increase?
I hope someone can help me with this problem, I would appreciate it very much.  I have had this Phillips Respironics system one machine over the last 4 years.  I have used CPAP for
10 or more years and have had great success and was enjoying that up until last night.  I'm a mouth breather and use a Dreamwear nasal cusion mask and I use Snorless tape to seal
my mouth.  I've been doing this for over a year now and my numbers and how I feel have been exceptionally good.  Last night I put on the mask and when the auto start kicked in the
amount of pressure was so intense it was difficult for me to exhale and the pressure seemed way out of whack for me.  I checked all of the settings on my machine and they were the same as always, but the machine was not performing that way.  I tried disconnecting the electricity and having it re-boot thinking that it might just need to reset or something, no improvement.  I'm wondering if I need to replace my machine.  Fortunately, I have one of the previous machines that I use when I travel and can use that, but don't want to use that as an ongoing solution.  Has anyone else had this experience and how did you solve this?  I recently retired and am on Medicare, so I would need to order from an authorized provider.  Is there anyone using a Medicare Advantage Plan to pay for new equipment and resupply?  My understanding is that there is a 20% co-pay, how much does that actually amount to by comparison?  Thanks for any and all information.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden Pressure Increase?
your 20% COULD be covered between Part B and your coinsurance. Call your insurance company to check (mine is)

As far as what happened. We like to see daily charts to determine exactly whar your pressures were and what caused them to go up. We currently use SleepyHead to see this data, OSCAR VERY soon. Was this happening on multiple nights or just one? I do see that occasionally I see things that are just not there on a every night basis, I typically ignore those.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input.  I'm going to spend more time on this today and will hopefully be able to solve the problem.  I'm going back over the settings again, I'm
suspecting that I may have accidentally turned off the ramp function and I'm going to go back in and make sure that the auto on is on for the A-Flex.  I appreciate
the Medicare guidance, I think I'm going to move toward using my Medicare to pay for supplies at a minimum.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2019, 08:27 AM)capsnut Wrote: I recently retired and am on Medicare, so I would need to order from an authorized provider.  Is there anyone using a Medicare Advantage Plan to pay for new equipment and resupply?  My understanding is that there is a 20% co-pay, how much does that actually amount to by comparison?  Thanks for any and all information.

You most likely changed some settings without realizing it, or...your machine is starting to fail. A change in a Flex setting alone can make you feel like you can’t breath.

Either way, the best thing you can do is call your insurance to see exactly what your coverage if for a new machine and what the coverage is for supplies.

Note: All Medicare/Medicare Advantage plans do not necessarily offer the same coverage, so call them.

I have a Medicare Advantage plan. They paid rent to the DME/Supplier for 13 months for my machine.
I paid a $150.00 deductible. After the 13th month, I then owned the machine.

All my supplies are at 20% cost to me. Sometimes, I can find supplies much cheaper online, and don’t use insurance.

One thing to consider is that Medicare may require you to take an overnight sleep test, even though you’ve been using Cpap for some time....so you may need to get set up with a doctor to set that up for you. Again, call your insurance, and find out exactly what they require of you and what your coverage may be.

It’s easier to do research now than to be blindsighted by insurance and DME’s.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks this is very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input everyone. After several failed attempts to reset the old CPAP machine, I contacted my health care provider who provided a prescription for a new machine.
I pick it up today, I'm getting a Res Med Airsense 10. I've never used a Res Med, but have heard good things about this machine. I've had terrible sleep over the last 2 nights and am having a sinus problem that I'm sure is due in part to using the old equipment. Looking forward to getting back on track, I went from either 0 or a max of 2 AHI to 6.4 last night. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Please be sure your provider dispenses the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Do not take the CPAP model which is fixed pressure and no data! Do not walk out with the CPAP model.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the front of the machine. It MUST SAY
AutoSet on the front

Airsense 10 is line representing multiple models.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip.  I've been torn between the Airsense 10 and the Dreamstation.  I can get either but would have to wait for the Dreamstation to be delivered.  So
far I'm leaning toward the Airsense based on the reviews I've seen.  Any thoughts pro or con on either one?  I'm meeting with the representative at Noon EST.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO without question the ResMed.  They respond faster and if needed the EPR acts as Pressure Support offering additional therapeutic options.  On paper they are about the same, bu in Practice ResMed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: Daveman
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 330 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,263 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 431 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 405 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 365 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.