Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden Sore Throat with New Pressure?
Sudden Sore Throat with New Pressure?
I have been happily wearing my cpap for about 3 years. I started feeling like it wasn't working right so I had a new sleep study done. I got my results. Got my new pressure setting (higher pressure). Adjusted the cpap. Went to sleep.

I woke up after a few hours of sleep to go potty. I thought, "huh. My throat feels crappy." Went back to sleep.

A few more hours later, I woke to start my day. I thought, "Dang, my throat really feels crappy now!"

Coincidence of getting sick on the first day of a new pressure? Or is the higher pressure somehow bothering my throat?

I am a nose breather, always have been. If my nose has plugged in the past, the moment I broke the seal and opened my mouth, I woke up paniced from it. I don't think it is from opening my mouth and having the air escape. The humidity setting is the same as the past 3 years. The water in the chamber is there.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate it!!!!!!
Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden Sore Throat with New Pressure?
Sounds like your humidity is off. Try turning it up just a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2015, 11:22 AM)IHeartCapnHook Wrote: I woke up after a few hours of sleep to go potty. I thought, "huh. My throat feels crappy." Went back to sleep.

Could be from opening your mouth or not enough humidity.

You can check your leak rate in sleepyhead or videotape yourself, to see if you might be opening your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
The "opening mouth" scenario hasn't been a problem in my house. Just this morning Mrs. R_G commented "You opened your mouth again!" Problem solved.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi IHeartCapnHook,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might turn your humidity up a notch and see if that helps. you might also consider a chinstrap to help you keep your mouth closed.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Night 2.... much better. I turned up the humidity and that seemed to make things better. Still slightly sore, but after another adjustment, I will hopefully be good!

Thanks for helping!!! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great to hear the humidity helped! Another successful data point for us all to learn from!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2015, 11:22 AM)IHeartCapnHook Wrote: The humidity setting is the same as the past 3 years.

With an increased Pressure setting, the airflow through the mask vent holes ("intentional Leak") will be higher and this would cause air to pass through the humidifier more quickly, lowering the amount of humidity the air is picking up, unless the humidifier is turned up or set to automatic. (Can only set to automatic if using heated tube.)

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 328 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 421 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 363 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 287 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,209 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,629 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Treatment] Sudden raised AHI Papageno 10 644 12-07-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Papageno

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.