Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden computer shutdown
Gross 
Twice in the past few minutes my computer has suddenly shut down for no apparent reason. On both occasions I was browsing the web using Chrome (different websites). In each case Chrome just suddenly quit with no warning, followed about a second later by a hard shutdown of the computer. Other devices plugged into the same power board kept running ok.

It's an Acer all-in-one with an Intel Core7 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I assume there will be a log file somewhere which has recorded these events - any idea on where I could find that? And any idea on why it might suddenly shut down?

Thanks.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In Win8 and above, if this happens when the PC restarts it comes up with an error message and the type of error. I'm not sure if Win7 does this.

One common reason for sudden shutdown is overheating and this can be caused by a build up of dust inside the PC case that eventually affects the fans.

Do you get the blue screen of death or does your PC just stop?
Post Reply Post Reply
Auto update and restart maybe?

Mine does that periodically, the computer does give an alert that it is going to update, but I usually miss it because I'm jumping from website to website across several different forum groups.

Next time it shuts down on you just leave it for several minutes to see if it restarts as part of the update process, rather than restarting it immediately, otherwise it is likely to shut itself down again an an effort to complete the update.
Post Reply Post Reply

I don't think it's that as I don't allow anything to update automatically. It's done it again but this time didn't get past the boot up stage, so I suspect it's the power supply. Will remove the pc from the power board and plug it directly into a socket to see if that makes any difference.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There was no BSOD it just stopped. As I mentioned to Ockrocket it did it again but never got past boot up. I'll check the fans - it does run warm being an all in one with little volume inside the case.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply
As to the question, the Event Viewer is at:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools

You do run a security suite? There is a ton of malware lurking to drop it's payload on you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks Bob. Yes, I have several different security programs and it's running a full system scan now.

I plugged it direct into a wall socket (instead of the power board) and it's been running OK for a few hours now. I'll check out the power board in some detail in the morning. The other problem might have been that the power brick was pretty hot, nestled in a bunch of cables, so I've put that up on my desk where it gets plenty of ventilation. It's been a warm day today 31C, though it never gets that hot on the ground floor of my house.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a very good free software called WhoCrashed that reads all of the crash logs and lets you review what happened. It runs in the background and will record the particulars of any application or system crash. Much easier to use than trying to find the logs manually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question: By all-in-one, you are talking about a laptop?
If so, it has a battery. Normally, loss of AC power does not disrupt operation.
Abnormally, the battery may be dead too.
Post Reply Post Reply

I would suspect heat immediately for any kind of sudden shut down without any BSOD. Especially if it runs later with no problems.

And I ditto WhoCrashed. Great program.

Could be you have a borked fan and moving things around knocked it awake. Or could be aliens and they realized you sensed their presence.

Mongo, All-In-Ones are typically computers where the components are part of the monitor. You have the monitor and the keyboard. No PC case.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Monitor Linearity surferdude2 6 814 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Need computer help......... GrammaBear 33 2,761 01-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Ghost Computer Drives PaytonA 3 814 07-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  2 OSs, one computer and two drives ? justMongo 9 1,996 05-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
Grin Senior Computer Skills Crimson Nape 9 1,429 05-08-2015, 01:52 AM
Last Post: leximorph19
  Man kills Dell Computer justMongo 8 2,257 04-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  The answer to your Computer / Software problems SuperSleeper 15 1,883 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Homerec130