Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden fatigue - 5 years on CPAP
Sudden fatigue - 5 years on CPAP
Hello

My sleep apnoea was diagnosed in Dec 2016, in 2017 started to use APAP Resmed Airsence 10 Autoset every night. Since mid-March my daytime fatigue and brain fog increased significantly - checked my stats on Oscar, AHI increased from usual 6-8 to 16-20, likely to cause fatigue. Obstractive apnea low, mainly Central and Unclassified apnea. SpO2 saturation at night around 90 with drops to 84. Rapid shallow breathing at night rate 30-40 per minute, sometimes shortness of breath.  
Not sure why this happened - APAP used at least 4 hours every night for the last 5 years, admittedly mask leakage a bit high, but no fatigue until recently.
In the last few days tried to use CPAP 6-7 hours per night, but still daytime issues - difficult to stay awake, even when driving. 30 min nap helps, but only for couple of hours.
Night sleep - usually ok from 11pm till 2am, after that difficult to fall asleep again.
APAP is Airsense 10 Autoset, F20 Full face mask, pressure 14 CPAP for the last 2 years. Since fatigue started tried decrease pressure to 8.4-10, not much help. Any views how to improve sleep and get rid of fatigue?

Leaks - my problems with current F20 FFM (bought new in June) are a) facial hair; and even more important b) I don't like breathing and rebreathing my own hot humid air (feel like I am in the tropical jungle). A bit of mask untightening helps, but causes leaks. The same problem with N20 mask.
CPAP heat is off, use a fan blowing on me. Ice cubes in humidifier help but only for couple of hours. Any advice how to reduce rebreathing effect (feel of hot humid air after exhale).
Tried to use nasal pillows and N30 nasal cradle - this reduces leakage. It's ok for couple of hours, after that internal nostrils get irritated by airflow.
Age 59, male with diabetes, obesity.  Exercise - 7-8 K steps daily

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden fatigue - 5 years on CPAP
It looks like positional apnea where you sleep in a position that cuts off your own airway. Also known as chin trucking when your chin drops down to your Sternum cutting off your own airway.

Have you changed to sleeping on your back or sleeping on a different pillow that is higher? Both can be a cause of positional apnea.

If nothing has changed take a look at the link I have in my signature on collars, you may need one to stop chin tucking.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden fatigue - 5 years on CPAP
(08-13-2022, 12:12 PM)staceyburke Wrote: It looks like positional apnea where you sleep in a position that cuts off your own airway. Also known as chin trucking when your chin drops down to your Sternum cutting off your own airway.

Have you changed to sleeping on your back or sleeping on a different pillow that is higher?  Both can be a cause of positional apnea.

If nothing has changed take a look at the link I have in my signature on collars, you may need one to stop chin tucking.

Thanks for your reply. No change of position or pillow in a few years. My sleep position is right side, no feel of chin tucking, but still collar might be good idea
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 330 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 678 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 541 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 291 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.