Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden increase in AHI
Sudden increase in AHI
My AHI has almost always been below 5 until recently.  Now it is generally around 20.  Last night it was 17.91.  Hopefully I have added a screenshot.. Min EPAP is 9.0, Max EPAP is 15.0, Min PS is 3.0, Max PS is 15.  Unit is a Respironics ASV about a year old.  I have had a stroke.  Please help!

Note:  For some reason I can't seem to post a screenshot.  The file is too large.  I have an Apple laptop.  I took the screenshot with Oscar but I can't find it.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden increase in AHI
Here is png of file

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Obvious place to focus on is the really high leak rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is your IPAP really 30?  Did I see that correctly?  That's pretty darned rippin' up that high, and might mean a different mask or a different approach to wearing what you're using.  It does say that you have an alarming degree of 'large leaks' at the left summary table.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand that ASV machines are sensitive to leaks and, as the others have said, yours are large. You did not include your leak rate chart or the Flow Rate chart which are 2 of the main charts, so what kind of leaks are you having?
Post Reply Post Reply
"Is your IPAP really 30?"

the resmed asv can display above 30 max ipap (I've had mine up to 34) to enable max epap and max pressure support to be set as high as possible for each of those 2 settings individually, but it will not produce more than 25 cmw.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know where the leak is - I certainly don't "feel" it.  Now that I know how to do screenshots, please tell me what you think I should show and I'll show it.  You guys are probably right but maybe because of my stroke I can't seem to pick a mask.  Maybe I can get the sleep lab or doc (he's a very nice guy) to help me.

Maybe I can setup some kind of test of the hose.  Please - any suggestions for testing the mask - I use a Mirage Quattro full face mask.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
I just looked for the leak rate and flow rate charts and don''t see them.  How do I shiow them?  Thanks.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have said, whatever is the cause of the large leak needs resolved. With leaking like that in place, the ASV cannot supply accurate therapy. I'd also put in question the accuracy of the graph for the same reason.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2019, 01:39 PM)LarryRapp Wrote: My AHI has almost always been below 5 until recently.  Now it is generally around 20.  Last night it was 17.91.  Hopefully I have added a screenshot.. Min EPAP is 9.0, Max EPAP is 15.0, Min PS is 3.0, Max PS is 15.  Unit is a Respironics ASV about a year old.  I have had a stroke.  Please help!

Note:  For some reason I can't seem to post a screenshot.  The file is too large.  I have an Apple laptop.  I took the screenshot with Oscar but I can't find it.

You have a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV not Respironics. As mentioned above your leak rate is way too high at a median 45 L/min and 95% leak rate of 116.  The machine is probably having problems detecting events and the pressure support is not benefiting you if it is leaking from your mask.  You mentioned that you had a stroke, and that may have changed the shape or tone of your face resulting in a different fit.  Read the Mask Primer Wiki and consider seeing your supplier for a new fitting.  Be sure to fit the mask laying down and bring your machine so you can verify it will hold up to your 25 cm maximum pressure. 

We have seen high event rates like yours disappear when leaks are resolved.  Try not to worry too much and just focus on solving the mask fit problem.  You may find a soft collar will help stabilize your airway and hold your jaw in position so you can achieve a better mask fit. Also consider some kind of hose management system to avoid pulling on your mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 96 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 24 1,577 03-29-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 7 232 03-29-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Daveman
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 214 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 385 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 470 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.