Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden increase in CA events.
Sudden increase in CA events.
My wife began CPAP therapy on February 20th (as did I) and has been a rock star with it. Her numbers have been consistently good and she's been feeling great. Until last week.

She got pretty sick with a stomach bug and didn't use her CPAP for a few nights. Since she started up again a few nights ago her numbers have been terrible. She has had a significant increase in CA events which I find worrisome.

The below graphic shows her first several weeks vs. the last 3 days. In the last 3 days her AHI has been increasing daily, 10.1 - 13.3 - 17.9.

Should we wait and see if this clears up on its own or is this an urgent situation?

Thanks.

This space for rent.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden increase in CA events.
I'm thinking it could be from missing the cpap for a few nights, but I'm not positive. I know the stomach bug you're talking about, and it's awful. It could be her body recovering. Hopefully, someone with a bit more experience will chime in here.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be temporary. Keep an eye on it over a week and see if it improves. I know the lack of quality sleep sucks and I hope it gets better on its own.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, both of you.

My biggest concern is that she has developed Central Apnea events, which she never had before.

And as I understand it, CPAP detects but does not treat CA. Is that right?
This space for rent.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is correct; however she could be having false positives if she's not sleeping as well during recovery from the illness. Did she have any centrals during her sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2015, 06:19 PM)truetopath Wrote: That is correct; however she could be having false positives if she's not sleeping as well during recovery from the illness. Did she have any centrals during her sleep study?
She actually had zero (0) CAs during her study.
This space for rent.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't suspect that she just developed complex sleep apnea then. I would guess it's related to readjusting to pap therapy again and if they don't resolve on their own I would contact the doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2015, 06:16 PM)LanceC Wrote: Thanks, both of you.

My biggest concern is that she has developed Central Apnea events, which she never had before.

And as I understand it, CPAP detects but does not treat CA. Is that right?

No, I don't think it's likely she has developed CA's when she never had them before.

I think the answer lies with the stomach flu she experienced. Was on any meds for that? Sometimes meds can cause differences in how we're sleeping and unclassified apnea events might happen that are scored "CA."

Positional? Maybe since she's been feeling bad she's sleeping in a different position and somethings happening the machine is classifying as CA?

Gear related? Check/clean all her equipment well.

Mostly just let a few days roll by and see if she doesn't go back to her former self. If not, in a week or so? Then maybe ask the docs what they think. In the meantime the overall numbers are not bad enough to be overly concerned with anyhow.

As to your question about CPAP detecting but not treating CA? That's pretty much true, but not all reported CA's are really CA's in the sense you are thinking of them. CA in the machine vernacular is the detection of what could be an apnea event which is not caused by an obstruction. It is not necessarily that Mrs. Brain forgot to tell her to take a breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks retired_guy. That's good information.

No, no meds. And she is completely over it now yet the CA numbers continue to rise each day. We'll just keep an eye on it for the next few days and see where it goes.

(03-22-2015, 09:05 PM)retired_guy Wrote: It is not necessarily that Mrs. Brain forgot to tell her to take a breath.

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to tell Mrs. Brain ANYTHING!

This space for rent.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 334 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 175 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 150 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 267 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.