Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden increase in events
Sudden increase in events
Hi all,

I've heard about ApneaBoard for a long time and am happy to finally have joined.  I was hoping you might have some insight for me.

I started CPAP therapy last year, and it has been going pretty well.  I've generally had an AHI of < 2.  However, in the past month or so, that has increased, and it has especially increased over the past few days (with 3 days of 5+ AHI in the past week).  The only thing I've changed in the past few days is sleeping on the other side of the bed, but that's never caused an increase in AHI before.  Most of these are reported as clear airway events, although my sleep study diagnosed me with OSA, with no reported central apneas.  I usually wake up in the morning with a belly full of air, which suggests to me that, if anything, my pressure is too high, but open to your thoughts. I sleep on my stomach, if that matters.

Would be interested in any insights or suggestions you might have.  The graph I posted was from last night, but of course happy to provide other info/other nights if needed or helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden increase in events
Welcome to AB.
I would to see 10 minute view of your centrals to judge their character. The whole chart just zoom in until a 10 minute segment shows

In the meantime reduce your EPR to 2. That should help reduce your centrals, maybe not, and possibly I crease your obstructive events.

Repost with your results. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply (and for your work on OSCAR!)

I'll try reducing the EPAP tonight, and attaching the 10-min charts from a few of last night's CAs.

Thanks again!

Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like your centrals are CO2 induced so we should be able to manage them.
What is most likely happening is your PAP machine has improved your breathing and as a result is flushing out more CO2 (the primary or main driver for our breathing) to below your apneic threshold and resulting in a central Apnea. This happens gradually, you see breaths getting progressively smaller. Now that you are not breathing CO2 increases and again crosses your apneic threshold gradually getting bigger breaths and once again flushing too much CO2 out repeating the cycle. Reducing EPR is the initial way we reduce this flushing of CO2
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2021, 07:03 PM)Gideon Wrote: It looks like your centrals are CO2 induced so we should be able to manage them.
What is most likely happening is your PAP machine has improved your breathing and as a result is flushing out more CO2 (the primary or main driver for our breathing) to below your apneic threshold and resulting in a central Apnea.  This happens gradually, you see breaths getting progressively smaller.  Now that you are not breathing CO2 increases and again crosses your apneic threshold gradually getting bigger breaths and once again flushing too much CO2 out repeating the cycle.  Reducing EPR is the initial way we reduce this flushing of CO2

That's fascinating, thank you for not only providing the solution but explaining it. I will reduce the EPR tonight and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may also try to lower your lower pressure from 14 to 12.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2021, 02:54 AM)multicast Wrote: You may also try to lower your lower pressure from 14 to 12.

Thanks!  I did try lowering from 14 to 13.6 based on the reasoning above.  Will move it down a bit more tonight at your suggestion.  Want to also add, I was thinking the CO2 idea really does make sense, because I have lost about 35lbs recently, which--I would think--would increase CO2 flushing.

Last night my AHI went down from the previous two nights, but still a bit above my average.  Maybe tonight I'll try reducing EPR another number, then maybe turn it off entirely? I feel fortunate I've never really had any problem adjusting to the CPAP, and don't think I need EPR for comfort.

Thank you again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lower EPR to 1 and pressure to 13-20 seems to have done the trick.  Two most recent nights are in the more typical range for me (AHI of 1.1 and 0.4, the lowest in about a month).  Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 339 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 267 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.